What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Memorial Day Weekend Fun

With an extended weekend last weekend I decided to talk Av8tor1 into letting me bug him for the day:poke:
Of course I had to take advantage of checking out his infamous collection and I got to pick his brain a little over lunch. After wrapping up plant discussions we headed to a nearby shooting range where Av graciously allowed me to shoot some rifles and handgun!:lol: Having shot handguns before I have to say that I much prefer the rifles! After posing for a Rambo style picture we made short work of some targets. Being an avid first person shooter gamer I have to pleasantly say that the the games aren't too far off from the real thing! Before we knew it it was time to wrap things up but not before a quick stop to a nearby nature trail and waterfall so that I could work on my tan a bit :p
I'm very grateful to Av for allowing us to come down for the day and welcoming us into his gome and I certainly hope we can do it again sometime! We had an absolute blast, thanks again Butch! :hail:

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1803.JPG

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wYjC96a2E0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wYjC96a2E0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Enjoyed having ya mate, but you know its bad form to out-shoot someone with their own rifles :rolleyes:

and you left before I could share with you the joys of cleaning your weapon
I think you had that part planned LOL :slap:

Good times and good friends!
Butch

It's set then, next visit: shooting and cleaning over some bourbon :boogie:
I'm sure had we been shooting further away you would have had me beat hands down!

Sweet! I love shooting! I just got a M1 carbine I can't wait to shoot! Sucks living in California where I can't even own one of those guns your shooting.

Av I always make my friends help me clean after a good day of shooting! They have to learn it's all part of owning and shooting a gun! Next time he out shoots you just slip some larger grain rounds in there for him or tweek the sight :lol:!

Frenchez, Your lucky you didn't have to clean. That is by far the worst part of shooting and hunting!

It's a deal....but bourbon after shooting and cleaning, dont want to hurt the safe queens
and pssssssst I was just being a good host ;)

hehehehehehe just teasing, you did outstanding mate

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Frill, Congrats on the M1 carbine, they are a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
Is that a Romanian AK or a Chinese AK? Man how I wish the Russian Kalashnikov's were legal here, lol. I used to have a Russian WW2 Mosin Sniper rifle. 7.62854mm round. Thing kicked like a muel.
Hopefully I can join you guys on an outing sometime, lol. I'll have to bring some of my guns and Ammo along to share with you.

There should be a terraforums meetup U.S.A. somewhere in the middle of everyone. I understand that the BACPS and LACPS have a bunch of meetings and a lot of the members, but that still leaves a bunch of people out...

Its a Romanian SAR1... rattles like a box of rocks but never fails.

Zu, would be nice.... but not near the density of members that SOCAL and NE has... but FWIW i vote for Louisville LOL

How much was your Romanian AK? Their like a few hundred out here I think. I haven't been to the gun store in a while, lol. Cant afford the brass at the moment. I need to start loading my own, lol.

The guns I have at the moment are a Tommy (Thompson) with a 50 rd ammo drum, a 44magnum, beretta 9mm 92 fs parabellum. and a 12 gauge pump action Benelli.

Also what gun do those stripper clips go to in the first pic on the table?

Ive had it a long time Nep, I honestly dont know mate... But probably be kind of hard to find a SAR1 nowadays, I think most of the Romanians on the market now are Romak's or WASR

I own lots of firearms, but my two favorites are...

German Model Kar 98k Mauser Carbine in 8MM Mauser....This rifle was brought back from Germany by my great grandfather, it shoots better than most modern rifles.

Desert eagle .50 AE.....My one and only handgun, it's like having a handheld artillery piece, but I have to handload ammo for it because it is rare and expensive.

Hopefully alcohol was involved.

No Worries mate. Also, not to ask too many questions, lol, but I noticed stripper clips in the first pic. What gun of yours uses stripper clips as I noticed both guns in the pics seem to use closed mags. Is it that gun that shows in the vid before I hit the start button. It looks kinda like an SKS to me.
Sorry if I ask too many questions, lol. I'm just also really into guns my self.

It is, it's a Chinese Simonov type 56 SKS
The "big" rifle he shot is an Imbel FN-FAL and the pistol was a Czech Cz82

Nep, no worries.... But discretion is the better part of valour mate ;)

Last edited:
There should be a terraforums meetup U.S.A. somewhere in the middle of everyone. I understand that the BACPS and LACPS have a bunch of meetings and a lot of the members, but that still leaves a bunch of people out...

i formally suggested this before but it didn't win much with the forum but it would be a blast though if it can be pulled :)

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

any other weapons your not showing us!? :p an ar 15 perhaps ? or an rcp 90? mp5? lol

Well I was going to suggest we all bring our toys and plants to the next North Central meeting. That is until the Yannbo pic was posted. That guy would get all the attention ! It still might be fun though, cp's, bagpipes, guns, cookout, cake. Looks like you both had a good time.

Cant afford the brass at the moment. I need to start loading my own, lol.

At about $0.22/shot for the AK, $0.27/shot 9mm and .22 ammo is practically free by comparison (always good for practice) you should be able to have a good day at the range for cheaper than a good night at the pub!

So far as I know, loading your own doesn't save a whole lotta money... people do it more to customize their loads and keep them consistant.

Looks like a fun day at the range on Memorial day! I usually make it a point to go on or near April 19th.

At about $0.22/shot for the AK, $0.27/shot 9mm and .22 ammo is practically free by comparison (always good for practice) you should be able to have a good day at the range for cheaper than a good night at the pub!

So far as I know, loading your own doesn't save a whole lotta money... people do it more to customize their loads and keep them consistant.

Looks like a fun day at the range on Memorial day! I usually make it a point to go on or near April 19th.

Yeah the only other reason is for hard to find rounds. My M1 carbine .30 rounds are hard to come buy. About $1 a round! I'm also paying like 20-25 for my 7mm for 16rds. about 1.25-1.5 per rd. I have yet to shoot more then 16 rds out of that thing. Talk about kicking like a mule!

Back