What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

veitchii highland x boschiana

uphwiz

jimmy
I got this nep about 7 weeks ago , it suffered the t-5's till i could get the new highland terrarium together . it was much larger than i thought, I think they didnt have the smaller one i ordered so they sent this, i do like it but i thought i had time to get ready, so several of the leaves that came on the plant look quite bad, the new leaf to the front is the one that has grown in my care , and the pitcher in the back right was very small when it came, its now in four t-12's, 3 day light and one grow lux bulb. It seems happier in the lowered light levels.
click pic for closer view

I just got one of those last week. You know why? Cuz of this picture... http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/Leilani_10/Feb09/DSCF0047.jpg (entirely sure it's not the same parentage but I can only hope it'll turn out half as good)

Mine was a whole lot bigger than I expected too...doesn't have any good pitchers on it ATM so not picture-worthy.

Where do you get your egg crating new? I need some more, but my father gave me all he had to give.

I like it. Very pretty when its colored up. Too many hybrids I keep seeing on here that I want!

@ Massmorels- Home Depot has 2ft x 4ft. sheets of eggcrate for $5

This will be a great cross. I have this one and the reverse. Both of mine have striped peristomes. I'll try to get some pics. My plants are smaller, but seem to have a larger pitcher/leaf ratio. Any idea why the pitchers seem smaller than I would expect given the leaf size (maybe it was grown in loer light levels?).

Where do you get your egg crating new? I need some more, but my father gave me all he had to give.

I get it at Home Depot in the lighting section.

the new pitcher is some what larger than the ones that came with the new plant, and the small uninflated one is entirely grown under my care so i hope it will be larger yet, i'll post a new pic in a few weeks to update the pitcher size to leaf ratio.
srduggins :poke: love to see the opposite cross picture when you can , thanks

OK, I just knew I would remember which was which. Looks like I was wrong again. Anyway, I think the veitchii x boschiana is on the left and boschiana x veitchii on the right:
P1120638.jpg

And boschiana x veitchii on the left, veitchii x boschiana on the right:
P1120640.jpg

It looks like I just suck at growing Nepenthes leaves, lol.
It will be interesting to track their differences as they mature.

srduggins , "Any idea why the pitchers seem smaller than I would expect given the leaf size (maybe it was grown in lowr light levels?)."
uphwiz You were right .:-D
I'll do one more shot of this pitcher when its more matures a bit further, but wow its almost twice the size of the ones that came on the plant.
this pitcher is fuzzy almost feels like the catch side of velcro .
I see lots of people handling their pitchers like I am in these shots , will this harm the pitcher or shorten its life? , I've not noticed any damage on the ones i've done this too BUT:-(
click for, bigger picture.

Last edited:
The warmer weather is bringing out some nicer sized pitchers and they are looking more similar now than different.
veitchii x boschiana on the left, boschiana x veitchii on the right:
P1120787.jpg

P1120788.jpg
P1120789.jpg

its fully opened now , think ill keep this one .:-D
IMG_2369.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg

next pitcher is larger still. srduggins ,think I could move this one to intermediate conditions , its in a highland terrarium, but the temps in this terr. aren't that different from the house itself other than the cool down it gets in the night, in the terrarium , of about 8 to10 degrees .
IMG_2613.jpg

Looking good!

Looking really good and more promising all the time.

I would expect it to do well as an intermediate since veitchii does and it's the mother. I also don't think boschiana is too picky, but this cross is less risky than the reverse cross (which I would also think would be OK as an intermediate).

Here's mine. This is a great hybrid.

Nveitchiixboschiana1.jpg

as capslock has said , this is a very robust nep. the newest pitcher is over 7 1/2" tall not including the
lid.
veitchiihighlandxboschiana.jpg
veitchiihighlandxboschianaclose.jpg

wow...NICE!
Glad I bought one, still waiting for it to pitcher for me XD

ok here is the newest pitcher , Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:blush:
IMG_3800.jpg
IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

DDDddddaaannnng! Wow that's a sweet pitcher!! :drool:

What she said :drool:

Back