What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few Basic Nep Questions

Vbkid

Getting There...
First, I recenetly recieved approximately 6 N. andamana seeds from a generous member of this forum. does anyone have any idea approximately how long I should be waiting expecting these to germinate?

Second, my only nep is a death cube rescue N. Ventrata. It is doing great and is even beginning to pitcher again after being acclimated to my conditions. The only thing that worries me is that the leaves that died during the transition and were cut off for the most part have now died back to the main part of the stem.
This means that the brown/blackish part is now on the main part of the plant. Should this worry me? I don;t want it to just eat or rot through the stem. Like I said, plant still seems to be growing, but I'm afraid this might be a problem for the future.

Thought? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Kyle

I think with only 6 seeds you will be lucky if one sprouts. I got the other 6 and no germination yet.

Leaves will die back all the way to the stem. The stem will form a brown woody vine eventually. Nothing to worry about.

For example:
ventcep1.jpg

Awesome, so I shouldn't be concerned about it dieing all the way through the stem then? Awesome!

Also, what media did you use for the seeds? Mine is just 1:1 peat to sand

Neps start looking like palm trees and as soon as the plant feels it's getting too tall, it sprouts basals and starts the process all over again!

I think with only 6 seeds you will be lucky if one sprouts. I got the other 6 and no germination yet.

Leaves will die back all the way to the stem. The stem will form a brown woody vine eventually. Nothing to worry about.

For example:
ventcep1.jpg

Wait, so my Vent has upper pitchers? Mine has a basal, so that's why I was wondering.
If so, upper Vent pitchers are great!

Just because it has basals doesnt mean its starting to have upper pitchers. If that were true then all of my plants.. even the young'ins would be mature. :)
I'm no expert but i think uppers' pitchers tendrils would be behind it and lowers are next/in front. Someone with experience can clarify but that's how I've differentiated from the both.

Good luck with the germination. There is a stickied thread with links to different germination methods that you might be interested in.

xvart.

I think I read somewhere that 10% germination rate is considered good for nepenthes.

Also, what media did you use for the seeds? Mine is just 1:1 peat to sand

I've heard that a lot of people use cocopeat with success, such as Capslock.

Back