What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

home improvements stopped selling CPs

Both my home depots and lowes stopped selling cps. Has anyone else experianced this.

I've looked in my local HD and lowe's for over 3 years and except for the occasional unnamed nep, have never found any cps

they only stock them in certain times of the year..

It probably depends on who the regional supplier is. Southern California seems to carry them throughout the year. Around this time of year you'll usually find them more often because they are vaguely associated with Halloween.

One LACPS member recently reported a good assortment including Nepenthes at the Torrance Home Depot.

Last edited:
Yeah, same here.
God bless the internet.

My Lowe's is getting their new shipment of CP's in on the 22nd. Just found out today.. Darlingtonias up the wazoo!

Its hit or miss I guess...None of my local HD's sell them and the few Lowes in the area only sell adelaes, typical VFTs, and purps during summer months. I noticed the one closest to me stopped getting shipments in by the end of August. Luckily they also put the remaining ones on the $1 shelf.

Our Lowe's supplier apparently learned it's not a good idea to ship Cobras during the summer. So they are only shipping them during the cooler months.

Never had a HD sell them... Walmart once, I still have an offshoot fo the capensis from there. And I got that only about 3 months after my first VFT, so proud to keep something alive that long!
My Lowes occasionally gets them in. Check on the cactus rack. Found a bunch hidden on there.

My local Lowes stopped selling CPs for about two years and finally started selling them again last year.

I have yet to see a Home Depot offer any CPs for sale

You could always ask about special ordering. All they have to do is look up on the computer what is available.

My Lowe's is getting their new shipment of CP's in on the 22nd. Just found out today.. Darlingtonias up the wazoo!

You get Darlingtonia at your Lowes? I'm jealous. All I ever see around here are very sad looking VFT and maybe some S. Judith Hindle.

As far as I have seen, there are still death cubes throughout the home improvement stores around here. However, the local Home Depot stopped carrying them last year because they decided they couldn't grow them in a dark corner... :lol:

I've got it down to a science with my Lowes. They get new cps the second Monday of the month. Small cubes are 5 bucks, large cubes ten. After two weeks the prices are cut in half, after three in fourths. That's when I act! 1.25 a cube is too much to pass up, even if they're sad looking. By the time the second Monday of the month arrives they've either sold them all, or (which makes me sad) thrown them away. The only variance in the system is how many they get per month: It can be just a few, sometimes it's a whole tray. But they're always typical vfts, S. purp, D. adalae, and N. ventrata. I'd trade the regularity of the system for some new cp types.

My home depot is the same as Clue's.
My lowes on the other hand is selling these "terrarium kits" which contain one sarracenia bulb and one VFT bulb along with a thinmble of sphagnum moss.

The garden centers around here usually stock CPs in the summer, fall, and early winter. Ironically, I've never seen them in the spring here, I guess it's because they are trying to sell plants that look good -- and let's face it, many temperate CPs don't look very marketable in spring. Lowe's had Neps last year but not this year, Home depot did not have any CPs last year but many this year. It all depends on the manager -- some see CPs as a waste of space that could be used for Orchids, Bromeliads, and any other 'easier' ornamental plants. I agree with others that have said that you should request CPs or ask when the next order comes in, without demand there is no supply.

I haven't seen any in the Home Depots or Lowes in NC for a while now..several years at least.

It probably depends on who the regional supplier is. Southern California seems to carry them throughout the year. Around this time of year you'll usually find them more often because they are vaguely associated with Halloween.

One LACPS member recently reported a good assortment including Nepenthes at the Torrance Home Depot.

Maybe I need to go visit my uncle and aunt in Torrance...

I went to the Home Depot in Orange and they had a very fresh shipment of death cubes in...There are VFT, D. capensis (with huge leaves) and the 'cobra' sarr. I grabbed a couple of the VFTs. I think someone that works there knows whats up cause there were a few plants away from the main box with the tops opened. One of the Capensis in that opened group was throwing a spike. I'm gonna go to the other Home Depot in Garden Grove and the Lowe's in Westminster tomorrow.

I haven't seen any in the Home Depots or Lowes in NC for a while now..several years at least.

In July, I went to the Northlake lowes(next to Drury Inn) and there were absolutely no CPs. Didn't check any of the others.

Back