What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gemmea

i was wondering, how do iget my pygmies to produce gemmea? and how long does it take to form?
thanks

From my brief time here, I gather that you need to gradually reduce the photoperiod on the plants down to 10 hours or less per day. I ordered some pygmies about three weeks ago from Peter D'Amato's nursery, and he mentioned that they should be ready to produce gemmae sometime in November. I started reducing my photoperiod around the time I got the plants - I'm down to about 12 hours from 16, and I should be down to my target of 9 by the end of October.

But, my disclaimer: what the hell do I know, I'm just a n00b. I'm probably doing something wrong!! Looking forward to hearing from some experts here.

They can be a bit slow sometimes, but eventually they'll cough up. If you're growing on a windowsill, and you're not in an equatorial region, you're doing everything right already -- the naturally decreasing photoperiod and temperature will trigger gemmae production. More water also helps. In their natural habitats, they create gemmae with the rainy season.

I've got gemmae out of D. roseana two ways, one year just kept them in the windowsill, and this year I decreased photoperiod drastically, 30 minutes per week until it was really short, about 9 hours. Then increased watering.

You could try PMing mark.ca, he's the real pygmy drosera expert around here!

I have my entire pygmy collection outside and so far none of them hae poduced gemmae. Maybe in a week or so....?

I've got my entire collection outside too, in San Diego, where it gets into the 60's at night, and the sun is getting up at 6:55 AM and going to bed at 6:15ish PM so...hopefully soon. They're only in the direct sun from about 1pm until sunset though so that might change gemmae production - but by Nov 30 it looks like we should expect 10 hour days (go to here for info on sunrise/sunset for your location or whence pygmy dews are located: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html)

Back