What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to sow D. burmannii seed

I have a flowering D.burmannii and collected the seeds.Can i just sow in an uncover pot with sphagnum moss under a shade? Will the seeds get blown away by wind and should i just sprinkle the seeds on top of the moss or should i cover with a bit of moss?

I would spread them on the surface of slightly moist media an put the pot in a ziplock. Place in "bright shade" at room temp. gnore for 3 weeks.

If you cant zip lock, I always saran wrap my cups/pots when sowing seeds to keep it moist until thye start to root. Then I take it off.

They germinate real well in other pots, particularly if you had no intention or knowledge of germinating there!

They germinate real well in other pots, particularly if you had no intention or knowledge of germinating there!

Now I wish I had split the seed I got from silenceisgod into two groups. One covered one not.
I planted mine about a month ago. Peat/sand mix pot covered with plastic under T12 lights with bottom heat. No spouts yet. The seeds are so tiny though maybe I just don't see them yet. ???

These are super easy to sprout if they're fresh like you have them.
Use sherkas advice -- cover them. And just put the seeds on a mix of peat and sand in a tray of water.

Stick them into your nostril like snuff and then sneeze them out into a pot. I've never tried this method, but I'm SURE it will work.

Seriously though, Burmanii is very invasive, and very easy to grow. I'm sure that in a few more weeks you'll see tons and tons of them. Maybe even in places you never intended them to be.

I can now say I do have itsy bitsy little burmanniis popping up.:banana2:

Back