What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa?

Hi anyone know how to grow a N. ventricosa i have no idea i have never had any kind of neps please help how would i grow it what kind of soil any answer on how to grow it is welcome THANKS!

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Please help!

Hello- the information found on the following website may be useful to you. There is a lot to be found there and I continually go back there to check and recheck my method.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5428.html

Last edited by a moderator:
They are one of the easiest to grow, jsut give it at least 4 hrs of direct sunlight if its in a window and if not u can jsut grow them under artificial lights. I have one by a window that only gets 3 hours of sunlight so i put one of those chrome dome shop lights with a 6500K spiral energy bulb above it keeping it on 12 hrs a day and its growing great, has ton a pitchers and new growth by the week.

Any other info is still welcome.

I find that ventricosa does best with very high humidity, room temp, and moderate to low light.....I have heard they are supposed to be easy, but not in my experience.

It's important to remember that each person has their own methods, and different things work for different people. That said, I've got two specimens of this species. I grow them both in regular room humidity with the same clamp-on grow lights and spiral fluorescent bulbs rball described. When I first started, low light levels caused my plants to stop pitchering for a while, but when I increased the light the pitchers returned in full force.

Soil: Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss. You can use this pure or you can mix in something like orchid bark or perlite. Do not use anything with miracle-gro or fertilizer.

Water: Distilled, reverse osmosis, or rainwater. Top water them when the top of the soil starts to dry out and never allow them to dry out completely. On the other hand, you also don't want them to sit in standing water. Damp but not flooded is what you want to aim for.

Temperatures: This variable is important for some of the more difficult Nepenthes. However, N. ventricosa is generally not difficult and should be fine in regular room temperatures.

You seem to be finding everything you need to know.. I'll include a bag of long fibered sphagnum/perlite mix, and another bag of straight LFS for top dressing.
Just fill the pot with the LFS/perlite mix, put the plant in, and top it off with the straight moss.
Reminder: Neps don't like being water logged, just somewhat moist.

Back