What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephs and/or Helis wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any spare Cephs or Helis for trade i don't care if there seeds, seedlings, medium sized, or mature sized plants i just want any form of them and i don't care what variety i just want one of them or both i have thousands of Drosera Nitdulla x Pulchella Gemmea and i have some venus flytraps (multiple sizes), Drosera Adelea (medium small), Small drosera capensis and leaf cuttings, Drosera Binata (leaf cuttings) and RIGHT NOW that's all i have for trade and you don't even have to trade you can just give one to me if you don't want to trade (HIGHLY UNLIKELY) and i have never had one before neither one of them and i would like to trade so thanks.

I dont want to burst your bubble, but i dont think you will be able carry out a successful trade with the plants that you have available. the caliber for helis and cephs usually go for the more rarer type drosera (villosa, graomogolensis, cistiflora 'red', tuberous dews), moderately uncommon/rare neps (N. villosa, N. jacquelineae, N. singalana, N. lowii, N. rajah), and other helis or cephs. if you dont have any of these, i suggest you start saving up some money. H. heterodoxa x minor might be the most easiest heli to obtain--you should try seeking out that one before you go to the harder to find helis.

Last edited:
i know but i desperitly want one. i geuss i can throw in a pretty nice cobra lily and if it's a nice Heli/Ceph i will throw in a N. Ventrocosa. and that's it sorry.

Drosera Binata (leaf cuttings)

Friend: I sent you those to get plants from...not to trade. When you trade cuttings you trade 'em fresh, not after they've been already traded before. Fresh off the plant.

i know but i just recived a almost mature one not to offend you or anything but please ask questions before assuming what i am doing thanks.

You must be really desperate if you're already trading the leaves from a plant you just got :-))

UHH! YEAH!! I MEAN it's a heli and or Ceph were talkin about i mean come on you want one to! :glare:

I dont mean to be rude, but no one is likely to trade a heli or a ceph for the plants you have listed. and you wont get anything for cuttings you recieved in a trade. your best and most likely only option will be to purchase one (as amp previously stated).

i know evryone tells me that be someone almost traded me for a cobra plant it's just it was'nt the moutian var. ok so everyone please stop bugging me about you won't find one oh know that will not work you might oh i don't BUY ONE ok thanks! NOT MEANING TO BE RUDE ONCE AGIAn!

I had to break down and buy one myself. Good luck finding a trade:)!

Might be easier if you were a lil nicer though:p.

hey eou, I don't think people are trying to be mean...it's just that we don't want you to get your hopes up for nothing. From looking at the posts you've made so far, we can tell that you've gotten a lot of new plants lately. Cephs and Helis are incredibly cool plants, but they're also pretty tough to grow, as well as relatively hard to come across.

My advice is to concentrate on the new plants you've gotten recently, and learn to grow them really well. I think once you've shown that you're a good grower, folks will be more likely to share things like Cephs and Helis with you because they'll know that the plants are going to a good home.

Last edited:
Thanks presto that cheered me up now you know how to put things

Cephs and Helis are pretty expensive, and the things you have for trade are really cheap. If you're not willing to spend any of your own money on a plant, then don't ask anyone else to bestow it on you for free. It's not fair to ask someone to give you a rare plant like that for such a poor trade, especially when you haven't even bothered to do your own research on how to grow them in the first place. It may be that you don't even have the proper setup to grow these plants (especially Heliamphora). Presto is absolutely right--take your time and enjoy what you've already got. And next time do your research first and know the proper value of the plants you are asking for.

Moreover, just because you say you're not trying to be rude does not change the fact that you are being rude. You can't just cancel out the rudeness of a comment by ending it with "I'm sorry; I'm not trying to be rude." Let me give you an example: I could walk up to someone and slap them in the face. If, after slapping them, I promptly exclaimed "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to slap you in the face!" that probably wouldn't make up for what I had just done.

And finally, I will say this: I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I want you to learn, so that you will be less likely to make these same mistakes in the future and more likely to have successful trades.

It can also be noted that winter is probably the worst time for trades :blush:

oh i don't BUY ONE ok thanks! NOT MEANING TO BE RUDE ONCE AGIAn!
obnoxious?

why cant you buy one? over the years i have probably purchased(with money... duh) 1/2 of my collection at its peak. and spent nearly $400(granted... that chump change compared to what serious grower dish out) all the rest was progeny of those plants or plants traded off for more. if you find the right place or the right person you can buy a heli for ~30 bucks(i think i traded for mine...) and a ceph for about the same(i think i got a cutting for free that came with a trade. cephs and helis also ARE NOT beginners plants. they may be easy for some but usually have specific needs. my heli had to grow in pure LFS and in a terrarium for me. and my ceph... well... i really didnt do much with it. i just set it and forget it and got really lucky i suppose.

you cant expect to grow these well if all of your experience comes from a bombproof nep and some weedy sundews. in time you learn to develop your skills and move up. from the time i started(like...october 05) i got my first heli 2 years ago and my first ceph a few months before that. thats... what 3 years? the hard truth is that experience takes time.

now.... make a purchase on some easy plants and grow them out so you can take pieces of them and trade them off for other plants. one thing you have to learn about CPs or any plants for that matter is that if you rush anything about it(yea. jumping in on harder to grow plants is one of them)... its gonna fail.

Alex

PS... if you want to go ahead and keep trying to get rarer plants for more common ones then have at it. im just saying you might want to think twice and do a bit more research.

LOOK i have over 50 plants and i have had them for over a year and only one died it was a ping and it was fungus knats ate the roots and killed it so i am cose to being a expert CP'S grower i have some i just want a few more ok and i have every CP'S in the world except one or two ok so i am not some guy that wants to buy a CP and does'nt even had one. !#@%^&*()

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

and an exspenive ceph

P.S. JUST PLAYIN WITH YOU GUYS NO FELLINGS HURT INTINDED but i really do have what i said i had

LOOK i have over 50 plants and i have had them for over a year and only one died it was a ping and it was fungus knats ate the roots and killed it so i am cose to being a expert CP'S grower i have some i just want a few more ok and i have every CP'S in the world except one or two ok so i am not some guy that wants to buy a CP and does'nt even had one. !#@%^&*()

wow. good luck finding one through trades acting like that.

NO ONE HERE IS AN EXPERT. and i will guarantee you that no one will honestly admit that they are one. they may be good at a particular genus... but not an expert by any means(to all that just read that, i still have great respect for each of you so dont think i am trying to depreciate your knowledge). in my collection's prime i had nearly 200 different plants. and i wasnt an expert on anything. i grew(or so id like to think...) amazing plants and still had stuff to learn about every single one of them.

im not even going to comment on that last part. are we acting like adults?

Alex

EDIT: nice of you to throw that second post in there.

yeah that was really all a joke except for the part that i have well over 50 plants i might be a two levels over a begginer.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Attention everyone i am being nice from now on like i sort of have been.

Here's the bottom line eou812---if you're going to be an active participant in this forum, you are going to have to treat others with respect and conduct yourself in an appropriate manner. There are quite a few 13 year olds on this forum who are able to do so, so it isnt impossible. So far you have spurned the careful advice of multiple members each saying the same thing, which probably means that it is something of very high importance. mostly

1) the trading grounds that you have setup are (yes i will say it) ludicrous---it's almost the equivalent of trading a paint by numbers painting set for a painting by Picasso.

2) you need to gain more experience in your CP cultivation techniques. you say that you've been growing carnivorous plants for about a year now. Good! but let's see that growlist of yours, what have you been growing and for how long? like glider said, growing bombproof plants for a year does not show any skill in CP cultivation. You've got those plants down? Good! then move on to something slightly more difficult. some plants you might want to try are: N. singalana, N. sanguinea, U. longifolia, U. dichomata, D. slackii, D. hamiltonii---then even more difficult plants such as N. talangensis, N. lowii, U. nephrophylla, tuberous dews, etc etc. by the time you've reached that last group of plants, you'll be ready to tackle a ceph or a heli.

3) If you're really that desperate for a ceph or a heli, why not buy one? or ask your parents to buy you one? Christmas is right around the corner. $30 bucks is much cheaper than many video games these days. Plus, i feel that plants that are bought with my own money hold a very special place in my heart, especially if they're expensive---not because of their value, but because of the amount of work that i had to do in order to raise that money and therefore, i take much better care of them.

and finally, if you are not able to conduct yourself as an adult, then you're going to be treated as a child. and last time i checked, no children were allowed in the forums.

i dont define my personal skills as a grower under classes... beginner-expert are difficulties on guitar hero.

50 plants is a nice collection. practice growing techniques with what you have and once you have that down you can get more and move up to the next difficulty level. going from D. capensis and adelae to hard neps, cephs or helis isnt the smartest idea. neps are going to be youre best chance for helis and cephs. get a few more easy neps(sanguinea is an excellent choice) and then get something along the lines of N. fusca, maxima, spectabilis or truncata, still easy but some have some quirks. after you can successfully grow those you can move to cephs. if you step it up to the true highland Nepenthes like tentaculata, sibuyanensis, mira, or lowii and can grow those successfully then you wont have ANY problem growing Heliamphora. Heliamphora and true highland Nepenthes have nearly the same growing requirements.

just some advice.

Alex

EDIT: i didnt realize it took me 12 mins to write that haha...
Plus, i feel that plants that are bought with my own money hold a very special place in my heart, especially if they're expensive

FULLY agree... it killed me to see my 'Sabre' and 'PDA' go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back