What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use Snow to Water Darlingtonia?

I see some talk about using ice cubes made of rain or distilled or RO water to keep the roots cool on Darlingtonia. I'd been watering with ~45 degree water when I looked outside and realize I have tons of snow. I melted some and it's 17-20 ppm TDS.

I just got this Darlingtonia from Lowe's, so it's not going into dormancy this year. Is snow a great idea to put on its soil?

I think it probably really couldn't hurt. I had my Darlingtonia outside for a few weeks and it got snowed on and frozen for a good while until I took it inside, only because temps dropped down to the teens.

Unless the snow is heavily polluted, I think there's no danger in watering with snow.

I don't see why not, it's just frozen rain water....but you prolly should use a little at a time or the thing might try to go dormant from excessive cold.....normally cold water/ice is something you do in the summer when the temps are higher.

You may want to let some melt in a clear cup first, to see if a film develops at the top. Even my fresh snow had some disgusting stuff in there! With those Lowes Darlingtonia, they shouldn't need dormancy for a while. I ended up using normal water indoors since its naturally cooler this time of year in my conditions. Only problem was that I never fed them, so the growth continually got smaller until I traded it away at a CP gathering in hopes that they could give it the attention it needed :blush:

Why do you feel the need to cool the roots?

Back