What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

allrighty

I know hardly anything about growing Neps, other than make sure that you get the temperature, humidity and amount of light correct. Well, i have had a nepenthes for about a month now. i have it under 2 T8s and a T5 for 14 hours a day, the temperature stays around 72-78F during the day and 65-70 F at night, humidity is right around 60-70% daily, not sure at night, i forget to check a lot of the time. Any how, it's putting out tons and tons of leaves, but hasn't put out any new pitchers in the time i have had it here. It looks like there may be a new pitcher starting, but i really have no idea, any way. you guys got any suggestions as to why it might be putting out massive amounts of leaves but no new pitchers?

I didn't catch what type of Nepenthes it was?

And try a coffee treatment on a stubborn nep - works for me.

But make sure you know how to coffee it first. It can also take another month for it to start making pitchers so it can aclimate to it's new envioerment.

Some nepenthes will sulk for a while if you move them to different conditions. I think it really depends on previous conditions and how much they differ from your own. I have had some refuse to pitcher for about 12 months and some never skipped a beat. Some species and hybrids are more tempermental than others as well it seems.

You may want to read up on acclaimation to see if re-acclaimating it to your environment may be beneficial.

As long as leaves are healthy I wouldn't worry too much for now. In time it should adjust and begin producing pitchers again.

The coffee treatment or a foliar feeding is used by some nepenthes growers. Nepenthes can stop pitchering if it becomes nutrient deficient. (or so I have read). coffee treatment or foliar feeding will give the plant nutrients and it typically will resume pitcher growth. I have limited coffee treatment experience, but from the threads I have read, it appears to have good results. I have never tried foliar feeding myself so cannot comment from personal experiences as to it's effectiveness.

No expert here. Just giving info based on my own experiences and research during the short 4 years I have been growing nepenthes.

Well my nep has started to put out one pitcher. But it abOut outgrew where I have it so I had to cu it down a bit. The Foliage looks great though. I am just waiting on pitchers. I figure if t grows some awesome. If it doesn't I will keep waiting and if it dies i will try again next year! It s still early. Also gonna try cOffee. I figure it can hurt and this is my first try. I just get down on myself when it doesn't look awesome on my first attempt. Well everything else I am growing is lookin great and my sarracenia plants are getting huge. Jus givin you all an update. I have been lurking but not posting much. Happy growing everyone!

well, just wondering if the plant looks ok to you guys, Aside from lacking any new pitchers( other than what i believe is a pitcher...gonna post a blurry pic here soon) sorry if the pics are kinda big

scaled.php

scaled.php

Maybe a new pitcher. i have watched the end thinger, dunno what its called, go from tiny to pretty big in the past month or so, sorry that it's blurry though.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Does my plant look like it is doing allright?
Like i said first go with this and i just wanna make sure ???

I would think if it's in a closed greenhouse enclosure it's probably got enough humidity and the temps are not wildly out of range for an N. Ventrata so it may just be not be getting enough light intensity. They need strong light to make pitchers and even stronger light to make really nicely colored and adult shaped pitchers.

ok. might bump up the light then. it's directly under a t5 and shaded by some other plants and stuff from 2 T8's.

Back