What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum seedling help

Cindy

Staff member
I've managed to germinate the seeds quite successfully but have not been able to get any to grow. I've even traded the seeds for other species because I think my conditions are not suitable at all. :-(

However, I've sown a total of 13 seeds since April. Two germinated soon after and both died before the seed coat fell off. I placed them onto their own peat pot as soon as the root appeared.

Today, I found another two have germinated and I really hope to keep them going. Please help give me your input here if you have experience growing this species. TIA!

Some questions I have in my head...
1. Perhaps my conditions is too warm i.e. above 80F?
2. Too humid i.e. above 75%RH?
3. Would cooling or drying conditions help?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

The two babies...

drosophyllum_seed2.jpg

drosophyllum_seed1.jpg

Congrats Cindy and good luck! Are you saying you're transplanting them into a peat pot like jiffy peat? I would say that's a problem, way too wet. I would say mine see temps over 80f and rather enjoy the spray that comes from my 1000psi fogging system. Take a look at my topic and maybe it will help: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120965
Andrew

Your soil looks like it will hold too much water.

My mix is something like: 20% vermiculite / 40% perlite / 20% sand / 20% peat

Drosophyllum.jpg

Last edited:
Stewart McPherson's "Carnivorous Plants and their Habitats" mentions that Drosophyllum when raised from seed in wetter conditions (e.g. the tray method with standing water) will tolerate wetter conditions when mature.

Thanks guys! I'll go and prepare a drier mix.

However, how do you water your seedling? I read that some growers mist them twice a day and their ambient humidity is around 40%. Mine is around 65% on a hot day like today and I already see the black seed coat turning whitish i.e. drying out in 3 hours.

It's counter-intuitive so please convince me that it is better for the seed to look dry! :hail:

The two seedlings died after 2 weeks of TLC. Both seemed to have rotted after a particular hot and humid day (85F, 87%RH) of being cooped up in my apartment with the windows closed. :down:

The larger one was 1cm tall.
drosophyllumseedling_14Jun11.jpg

The good news is that I have another seed that germinated just yesterday. It has already put out some fine furry roots into the media today.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry. Your conditions don't sound quite right, unfortunately. The plants take at least half a year to start looking good, though.

Back