What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schadenfreude für Tipulidae . . .

It just wasn't a good 15 June for crane flies (aka family Tipulidae). For whatever reason, they were everywhere in the city a few days back; and a fair number of my plants benefited. One of the flytraps, a typical, was a .99 cent rescue in 2010 from a head shop on Haight Street in San Francisco, who were selling the barely-alive plants in egg-shaped containers, next to boxer shorts with Charles Manson's maniacal face arrayed like polka dots -- everywhere; that, and a plush, over-stuffed Jerry Garcia doll marked-down.

Dionaea muscipula "typical"
(head shop rescue)
DM1.jpg

"Dirk Ventham's Giant" (G14)
DM2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Aww, I wish my vfts had flying things to catch too :(

That, sir, is awesome! One of my flytraps caught a cranefly for the first time not too long ago, but it didn't look nearly as cool as that with the legs and body sticking out... That's like, a classic capture. :p

That, sir, is awesome! One of my flytraps caught a cranefly for the first time not too long ago, but it didn't look nearly as cool as that with the legs and body sticking out... That's like, a classic capture. :p

Thanks; and the G14's leaves are very strong and likely to survive that capture -- even with legs sticking out; and it is always the first of my plants to cross the 4.4 cm barrier by the the beginnnig of Summer . . .

you know what the story is well fit before the photos well done

C'mon Bella, I wanna see them Charlie boxer shorts you got! :D

C'mon Bella, I wanna see them Charlie boxer shorts you got! :D

I decided upon the tadpole-sized silk-screened sperm boxers over Charlie's lovable mug -- because, as we all know, Charlie don't surf . . .

ummm and what was we doing in a head shop hmmmmm?

tsk tsk tsk

dont bogart that dude, pass the power hitter :p

ummm and what was we doing in a head shop hmmmmm?

tsk tsk tsk

dont bogart that dude, pass the power hitter :p

Walking to the local market a few doors down, if you must know -- and also window-shopping for a bong the size of a Louisville Slugger . . .

hehehe a little Fraternity of Man flashback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xscuS9H8U&feature=related

figured afroman would be over the top LOL

Butch, always a classic. When I worked in a restaurant in LA during college, Peter Fonda was a regular (and a very nice guy); and there was the standard joke about the "Peter Fonda Workout," following in his sister's footsteps. "Wake up at eleven, smoke a fat one, and hit Jane up for cash."

While he was munching away at eggiwegs, and lomticks of toast one fine day, I just had to say how much I enjoyed him as the burned-out surfer in John Carpenter's Escape From LA, catching those post-apocalyptic tsunamis . . .

LOL..... oh my

too cool my friend....

strange though, not Peter Fonda but now i have the urge to watch a Billy Jack movie LOLOLOLOLOL

Last edited:
Back