What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B. guehoi in the tropics

Cindy

Staff member
I am new to growing B. guehoi but it seems to do as well as B. liniflora in hot and humid Singapore.

byblis_guehoi_flower_branching.jpg

Just 3 days later...look at how much the "branches" have grown!
byblis_guehoi_flower_branching1.jpg

Really strong "glue".
byblis_guehoi_prey.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous! Love to see some pics of the entire plant..

B.gooey. ;)

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... :drool:

Nice. I want one. IT'S SO SHINY. O_O

For comparison of size and growth habit...

Mature B. liniflora in 4" pot
5963132706_c88ce4803f_z.jpg

Flowering B. guehoi in 7" pot
5963132704_98f00e2496_z.jpg

Young B. "Goliath" in 5" pot
5963132698_2121115a03_z.jpg

stunningly beautiful Cindy!

The fly has since been "drawn" closer towards the leaf by the tentacles.

byblis_guehoi_prey1.jpg

Well done!

Three plants, one is branching like mad and the other two are not. ???

byblis_guehoi_flowering2.jpg

byblis_guehoi_flowering1.jpg

byblis_guehoi_flowering.jpg

Flower
byblis_guehoi_flower.jpg

Petal colour abaxially - white
byblis_guehoi_flower_back.jpg

Anther length cf filaments - longer? How to tell?
byblis_guehoi_flower_anthers.jpg

About 2cm across
byblis_guehoi_flower_size.jpg

beautiful plant

I absolutely love this species of CP. I'm really hoping I have some luck with them this time around. I've gotten sprouts from every batch of seed I've tried. But they always perish once they're about a quarter inch tall.

mass, you've got to drop the humidity once they germinate or least increase the air circulation. My ambient humidity is above 75% on the average so I place the seedlings under direct sunlight, exposed to wind. The media should be moist, not swampy like for VFT or Drosera. Good luck!

The flowers from two plants look different in terms of colour as well as morphology. Are they both true B. guehoi? :0o:

6028260815_a94723f86a_z.jpg

6028814294_a5d05e9abe_z.jpg

Hey Cindy,

Now you're beginning to see what my B. 'Goliath' research is all about and why I think that B. 'Goliath' is actually 4 Byblis species in one. :bigthumpup:

B. 'Goliath' = B. guehoi, B. rorida, B. aquatica and B. filifolia. So now you've also witnessed too, that flower morphology is not a totally reliable tool for discerning Byblis species....unless the differences are great, such as the case between B. 'David' [liniflora] and B. gigantea ; )

Happy Growing,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your input. Currently, I have B. 'Goliath', B. guehoi, B. rorida, B. aquatica, B. liniflora, B. filifolia, B. lamellata and B. gigantea growing under the same conditions. So far, the annual species seem distinct given similar watering regime, lighting and media - in terms of growth habits. But I am no expert so I can't be sure.

Nevertheless, I shall attempt to cross-pollinate the annual Byblis species, whichever are flowering at the same time. :boogie:

As promised, B. 'Goliath' flower (bottom) was pollinated with B. guehoi (top) pollen today. :banana2:

byblis_guehoi_goliath_flowers.jpg

Oh wow, i want to grow Byblis! :)

Is that purple thing the stigma??

Nice pics!

B. guehoi
byblis_guehoi_flowers_plant.jpg

byblis_guehoi_flowers.jpg

B. 'Goliath'
byblis_goliath_plant.jpg

Back