What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild flowering drosera + unexpected danger!

I took a trip out to the bog today. Wanted to see how the dews were doing and collect some fresh LFS. Snapped a few pics along the way as usual. Enjoy!

IMG_6587.jpg

I love the ferns out here..

IMG_6580.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

Was pretty easy to find the dews with all the little white flowers everywhere.

IMG_6556.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6584.jpg

So.. throughout the bog I kept seeing these large areas where everything was flattened and dead. At first I just thought it was a deer bed, which is pretty common in the area. There were about a dozen of them all around me. Some were quite large, others were only the size of a diningroom table. It wasn't until I trudged out of knee high brush straight into a 10ft. clearing that I realized what these "beds" actually were. Underground colonies of giant yellow jackets!! :ohno: It was then I realized the true danger I was in. These colonies were HUGE.. and all around me. It was 95*F with 95% humidity.. but it wasn't until now that I began to pour sweat. Luckily I escaped safe and sound.. Moving extremely slowly, and carefully, I high tailed it out of there. I'll check back once more in the fall.. but other than that I'll leave them be.

A medium sized hive I accidentally stumbled upon..

IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6586copy.jpg

And a smaller hive only 20 ft. away

IMG_6582.jpg

After the encounter I decided to take a walk through the woods rather than cutting through the bog as usual. Here's what I found.. along with a QUAD-ZILLION mosquitoes.

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

.. Continued.

OMG That's so scary! Glad you're ok.

Yikes!

Looks like a bunch of intermedia?

Very nice account, and -- having been stung by multiple wasps at the same time -- congratulations for getting out of the muck unscathed . . .

That one huge hive, and a lot of poison ivy!

Thanks David. Normally I would say there was nothing to it.. but this challenge was nothing short of a miracle to overcome.

The intermedia look very healthy! The yellow jacket nests look terrifying. They're very angry this time of year. Nice moss!

U B lucky! Yelloow jackets, bald faced hornets....whatever they are., glad to see ya made it out with no stings!
The only thing I have found to hurt worse than those (unfortunately) was a scorpion in Texas.:censor:

that hive looks beautiful! Glad you got out of there with out getting stung, very lucky for hive that size. Helthy looking dews too :D

Anna.. that's like saying the inside of a Great White's mouth is beautiful. It's totally beautiful on my 52" flat screen. But not so much at the tip of my toes. :lol:

U B lucky! Yelloow jackets, bald faced hornets....whatever they are., glad to see ya made it out with no stings!
The only thing I have found to hurt worse than those (unfortunately) was a scorpion in Texas.:censor:

And I think the only that hurts worse than a scorpion is the centipedes found in the same area.

Ohmygosh, I'm so happy you got out safe!!! O_O
But lovely scenery too, very nice :love:

Wow.... Thank god you are ok

lol thats very true mass i would never go near a nest that huge but in a pic its all nice and purdy lol

Looks like lot of poison ivy Mass….are you allergic? Every time I went out to the bog I usually came back with some. Ouch!

Looks like lot of poison ivy Mass….are you allergic? Every time I went out to the bog I usually came back with some. Ouch!

Yeah, it was everywhere in the woods. I could actually roll in it and not be affected. Just one of those lucky few.. :awesome:

You should still try and avoid it. Being extremely allergic to poison ivy, I have done tons of research on the stuff. Even people who are not affected can and will eventually be affected after some magical random number of contacts. I avoid the stuff like the plague. Last time I was at one of the bogs here in Ohio I ended up with huge patches on my right elbow, arms, and across my face. It was horrible.

Those are some really nice set of wild CP pics, and the moss in the last pics look really amazing too!

Back