What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. graminifolia

Wire Man

Sphagnum Guru
I recently received a plug of U. graminifolia from one of our generous members. It's planted in a peat and sand mix with pure peat on the top 2 cm. I haven't noticed any noticeable growth since I've acquired it and the sphagnum is looking pretty brown. Is there still hope for this plant?

Try flooding the pot from time to time.

I grow this species under water for the cooler times of the year. Then in the summer months I let it grow as a terrestrial on top of flooded LFS. Mine is currently flowering.. so I must be doing something right.

Keep it watered down real good and it should take right off.

I grow mine in a little 2.5 gallon tank in flourite. I keep the water level with the flourite.

I have found that mine took a long time to establish itself. (I took a my plug and divided it) Once it did. It takes right off. Mine sits on my bedroom windowsill. Easy!

Before... February-ish
P1020176.jpg

Today..
DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

Good luck Wire man!

That's an impressive difference! I guess I'm not keeping it wet enough. Time to go nearly submerge it. Thanks for the advice!

I can't seem to get mine to flower. I have about a dozen of flower stalks with little buds, but they never bloom. I'll get some picks up soon.

I can't seem to get mine to flower. I have about a dozen of flower stalks with little buds, but they never bloom. I'll get some picks up soon.
Hmmm - while U. graminifolia can be tough for some to coax into flower mode, I hadn't heard that it was big on aborting stalks.... However, otoh, U. subulata produces cleistogamous flowers frequently..... very suspicious...

Wow this whole time I thought I had U. graminifloria, when I really had U. subulata. The leaf size looks more correct with subulata.
IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

That's definitely subulata. They'll occasionally open a flower, a very tiny flower. My graminifolia is now partially submerged. Let's hope it responds.

just give it time and it should strike back nicely!...if it doesn't, shoot me a pm and I will send you another plug ;)

Hopefully it pulls through. I'll let you know if it kicks the bucket. How tough are these things?

I have received a plug of U. graminifolia from Ron and planted it in 50:50 peat : silica sand 2" pot that is constantly kept in 1cm of water. This Utric is the one that shows the most growth out of all in my case :)

I think it's definitely dead. The sphagnum is white and stringy.

Keep it watered down real good and it should take right off.

I grow mine in a little 2.5 gallon tank in flourite. I keep the water level with the flourite.

How deep is your medium? I got a small plug from Jimscott several years ago and I put it in a 4 inch deep pot with sand and peat as the substrate. It did well until moss start overtaking it. I pulled out the moss but it came back. Then it started growing out the drain holes. I tried keeping the water level up to the surface of the media but it still prefers growing out the drain holes. It has flowered for me several times, out the drain holes. I even took a cutting from the drain holes and repotted it on the surface - no go.

I gave a cutting away and the grower says it prefers to grow as an aquatic with 22 inches of water underneath being optimal.

It's about 4 inches deep. It doesn't look like it rooted into the medium at all.

How deep is your medium? I got a small plug from Jimscott several years ago and I put it in a 4 inch deep pot with sand and peat as the substrate. It did well until moss start overtaking it. I pulled out the moss but it came back. Then it started growing out the drain holes. I tried keeping the water level up to the surface of the media but it still prefers growing out the drain holes. It has flowered for me several times, out the drain holes. I even took a cutting from the drain holes and repotted it on the surface - no go.

I gave a cutting away and the grower says it prefers to grow as an aquatic with 22 inches of water underneath being optimal.

substrate depth varies between 1 to 2 inches. It has a slight slope at one end that is why you can see pooling of water in the pic I provided. I hope that helps :)

I was going to use it as a mini planted tank, in fact all the pump/filters and co2 equipment still sits unopened. I liked the way it was looking and never started submersing the utric. Perhaps one day.

sorry im so late to this thread. wireman, is that the plug i sent you?

Yup, it's the plug you sent. The mailman left the box in our mailbox and I think it cooked the plant. My current residence for school is much safer with plant shipments, as they're delivered to our door, or dropped off in the front office.

If you want to try growing it like I do (refer to post #3), I'll give you a free plug. Just pay shipping..

Back