What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best VFT cultivar

What cultivar do you recommend for a beginner? I heard good things about Big mouth, Big vigorous, B52, and Fang cultivars.

B52 seems like a pretty boss plant to me. It was my only VFT that grew well with a mite infestation and it is also very big.

They are all very similar for growing. If you want to start out with a vft I recomend you wait until spring, if you cant wait though you could start with a tropical cp, some are nepenthes, tropical dews, mexican pings, and others.

Start with a robust/vigorous cultivar like bigmouth, big vigorous, (as you suggested) vigorous, finetooth x red, dutch, dutch delight, or dentate. Red ones tend to be a little bit weaker in my experience.

TBH in terms of hardiness they are all almost identical with the exceptions being the mutants like wacky, kms, and the tiny ones... B52 will grow the leargest, and at a pretty good pace, but it isn't really any hardier than the others.. If you are a beginner you should get a typical to get used to it since most people kill their first ones, or at least struggle a bit. If you wait until spring, I will have a bunch of b52 and dente that are going to be about small/medium that I can trade.

Some good suggestions already. I'd probably rank my favorite "vigorous" flytraps in the following order:
Jaws
B52
Big Vigorous
Big Mouth
Fine Tooth x Red
Dutch Delight

All of those get nice sized traps, are vigorous growers and get good coloration (except for Dutch Delight which doesn't color up a whole lot).

I suck at flytraps. But B52 has been growing relentlessly without problems. No stopping this beast..

This is probably a bad reason to select a cultivar but which has the biggest traps. I had a lowes typical plant until it rotted away from its base. If there are any other reasons you like a cultivar besides trap size can you please list them. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've never had too much luck with VFT's, but in my limited experience and limited gene pool I have found B52's to be quite hardy and large and rewarding.

I think B52s are considered to have the largest traps on average, with traps over 2" long (doesn't seem like much until you see it in person) expected on mature plants. I've seen really big B52s, and they look like they could eat small mice.

This is probably a bad reason to select a cultivar but which has the biggest traps. I had a lowes typical plant until it rotted away from its base. If there are any other reasons you like a cultivar besides trap size can you please list them. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Really they are all the same species so they will all be nearly identically (unnoticeable change) easy/difficult to grow besides the ones that are mutated into differnt shapes like Korean Melody Shark, Wacky Traps, Whale, Trichterfalle, funnel, etc because those are usualy weaker clones.. The rest are all the same..

No, some clones are more vigorous than others.

Honestly, I'd just get my hands on a bunch of seedgrown typical flytraps. Usually cheaper and more natural. I have B-52...or what is supposed to be B-52, and "SW Giant" performed much better...and it has much longer leaves. I once had a 'Royal Red' and found it to be rather slow-growing and hard to please.

No, some clones are more vigorous than others.

Honestly, I'd just get my hands on a bunch of seedgrown typical flytraps. Usually cheaper and more natural. I have B-52...or what is supposed to be B-52, and "SW Giant" performed much better...and it has much longer leaves. I once had a 'Royal Red' and found it to be rather slow-growing and hard to please.

Being more vigorous doesn't mean its more hardy though. Just that it grows faster and bigger. One of my typicals ("Long Neck") Grows extremely fast. It grew faster than all the others i had this past year, and got bigger, but the others still lived. The only ones I would worry about are really thin/small/deformed ones thatcant eat. Wacky canteat so it needs special care and love :) kms NEEDS to be moist at all times or it will wilt within hours of drying out with its thin necks..

Being more vigorous doesn't mean its more hardy though. Just that it grows faster and bigger. One of my typicals ("Long Neck") Grows extremely fast. It grew faster than all the others i had this past year, and got bigger, but the others still lived. The only ones I would worry about are really thin/small/deformed ones thatcant eat. Wacky canteat so it needs special care and love :) kms NEEDS to be moist at all times or it will wilt within hours of drying out with its thin necks..

I've found being more vigorous to often equal being hardier. However, in normal growing conditions you will not see much of a difference, as Doomsday said.

What cultivar do you recommend for a beginner? I heard good things about Big mouth, Big vigorous, B52, and Fang cultivars.

I would recommend 'Big mouth', 'B52', 'Jaws' (Fantastic cultivar), Bob Zeimer's "1955"-this is not a registered cultivar but has been really vigorous for me. They are all great though. I've grown some typicals that I like better than many cultivars, seriously.

Back