What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify the pest (?)

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my N. spectabilis x aristolochioides. The most recent leaf is distorted, as is the tendril (it's curled backwards). I thought it was a fluke, but now the newest leaf that is unfolding is showing the same problem. I've also recently noticed some small webs around the plant. My first thought was spider mites, but 1) I can't seem to find any on the plant, and 2) it's my understanding that they won't survive in humid conditions, and this plant has been in the direct line of my humidifier for the past month or two. I'm seeing some webs on a couple of my other neps that are right next to this one, but have not seen any of the leaf distortion in them. General conditions: growing under lights, days 75-80F, nights 58-65F, humidity between 40-60% (though probably a bit higher since it's so close to the humidifier).

Any thoughts on what this could be and how I could treat it?
Thanks in advance.

That plant looks healthy... I dont see anything wrong with it.

In the top photo, notice the leaf margins of the leaf pointing straight at you. The left middle looks like it was cut away, as does the right tip (compare with the leaf directly below it).
In the second photo (same leaf), the tip of the tendril is curled under (compare to the blurry tendril to the right of it that curls upwards in the usual fashion).

Is this a BE TC clone?? if so I think had this exact clone. It seems to produce perfectly normal, healthy leaves and then produces these funky leaves. Mine never grew out of it either and if this is the same clone I had be on the look out for pitchers with only one wing, areas on the pitcher where instead of the normal spotted colouration it stays lime green and distored peristomes. I'll see if i can dig up any old pics of my plant

Here are some pics of my plant...
see the distorted coloration and peristome?
100_2536.jpg

and this is the only pic of the whole plant I could find but notice the leaf about midway up the bright green pitcher to the right? then the growth point died and the new growth (the slightly lighter green growth above the deformed leaf) looked normal again? really weird
100_3366.jpg

Last edited:
I am no expert and I dont have an explanation for the mishapen leaf but that plant looks fine imo.

Thanks, Mike. I'm not sure, but probably. I got it from a well-known nursery in California, and I think that's where he gets them from. Ugh, I hope you're wrong. I love this little guy and it finally has settled in and is pitchering regularly - I'd hate to think it's going to be a mutant now. :) I'd love to see your pics for reference though.
On the bright side, maybe I don't have spider mites after all, though there are those webs...

Aww, the poor thing looks like it was punched in the face! Very strange. I'll keep you posted on what happens - I'm curious if the distorted tendril will pitcher.
Is this strange growth behavior common for TC plants?

I dont think its very common for neps, one of the only other neps ive seen pics of is ventricosa clone that was way more deformed than this clone of spec x aristo. But then again, there all those horribly deformed fly trap clones that originated from TC

On the bright side, maybe I don't have spider mites after all, though there are those webs...
I have feral spiders year-round in my tanks so there are always some new strands popping up ...

This might be some more bad news for you pills... I don't know the origin of this clone, but I would guess that it is BE.

A while ago my plant started doing weird growth as well.

DSCN6663.jpg

DSCN6664.jpg

DSCN6463.jpg

DSCN6457.jpg

I thought it was kind of cool at first, but it appears that it is continuing this weird habit. Also, it has made some normal pitchers inbetween as well... go figure.

Ironically I also dropped my camera on the plant and broke its growth tip taking these pictures.

Wow Dex - that is hilariously ironic! ;)
Yup, that second photo of the leaf looks very similar to mine. It's a bummer, but I find some comfort knowing it's nothing that I'm doing wrong, nor a pest. Too bad they don't seem to "grow out" of it.
Thanks.

Back