What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light levels for growing neps

• Thread starter James H
  • Start date
I was wondering what amount of light everyone shoots for with their indoor terrariums. I am looking for a range of Watts, Lumins, foot candles anything that will give me a baseine to use for getting my lighting all setup. I will be running CFL style bulbs with a 6500k spectrum for now and might end up getting a more professional lighting system over the summer.

I just measured mine at about 1500-1700 fc @ 5" below 2 banks of 4 ft T 8's. I have mylar glued to the reflectors.

Thak you very much, that is about three time the level mine are currently getting. That might explain some of the growth issues I am seeing.

Yeah they take more light than you think. Esp if you want good color.

I try and run as much as I can, but I grow HL only. IMHO CFL's are the very low end of lighting unless you are use 175 or 150 watt CFL. I use 2 175 watt CFL, 3 4' 2 bulb T5's and 1 4' 4 bulb T5 on my rack. Also remember the farther the light is from the plant the less actual light the plants are receiving. All my lights are no more then a few inches from the plant tops except for the 175 watt CFL. They are on my larger neps and are about 1' from the pots.

Last edited:
James, it depends on what species and ancestry your Nepenthes come from. Highland Nepenthes can take brighter conditions while as Lowlander Nepenthes will appreciate some sort of shade as the same lights used on Highland Nepenthes may induce leaf burn on Lowlanders.

I'm growing mainly LL and intermediate Neps - I have a bank of 4x 4ft T8s. My baby plants are around 12" below the lights; my adults are nearly touching them! All seem pretty happy, though thinking about it, I should probably find a way to raise the babies a bit higher...

I have all of my neps under a 20w T5 and a 20w T12. They're doing amazing. Growing like weeds and such. :)

Back