What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants in Nep Substrate? Cell Functioning Temperatures?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I have two questions, didn't want to make two different posts...

1. Just went out to my greenhouse and found a colony of ants living in there, as well as in my tomato plants' substrate. I sprayed the colony with roundup (I found them when killing weeds in the greenhouse with roundup) and it was like insta-kill, but scrubbing bubbles is still my weapon of choice! Can ants living in nep pots be bad for the neps? The neps aren't out in the greenhouse yet, so no worries!

2. This is a scientific question to help me better understand the care for my neps... I understand their temperature requirements, but my neps seem to be doing well at 65F night 75F day... I understand that enzymes function best at different temperatures... Why do neps need a cool down period at night? Is it to tell the plant to stop working? It is to activate enzymes for processes that need to be done at night? What's the deal? ???

2. As you already said, enzymes work best at certain temperatures. Some plants are used to that slow down or stop in enzyme function as the temperature lowers at night everyday. This is how they evolved. It is said that if these plants are not allowed to cool down every night, eventually, they will "tire" and grow weak from the continuous growth. I guess I don't really know much about plant biology to say what processes happen at night, but I would assume that those processes have also evolved to occur in these lower temps. And pehaps at higher temps, they don't occur and eventually the plants will tire out?

Just my hunch. I would love to hear what others have to say too.

2. As you already said, enzymes work best at certain temperatures. Some plants are used to that slow down or stop in enzyme function as the temperature lowers at night everyday. This is how they evolved. It is said that if these plants are not allowed to cool down every night, eventually, they will "tire" and grow weak from the continuous growth. I guess I don't really know much about plant biology to say what processes happen at night, but I would assume that those processes have also evolved to occur in these lower temps. And pehaps at higher temps, they don't occur and eventually the plants will tire out?

Just my hunch. I would love to hear what others have to say too.

Thanks. It makes sense now. :)

Back