What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. attenboroughii for sale?

mato

BANNED
Looks like we may soon be seeing more and more of this rare plant, as it seems one nursery is offering it for $299. Can't say who, but I'm sure it won't take long for people to locate it.

$299 though? I'd like to know what you all think about this exorbitant, but expected, pricing?
Would you pay this amount? Specifically, would you pay this amount if there was the slightest chance some of the seedlings were hybrids?

Not me, but that's only because of the latter concern, coupled with the feeling that we may soon see more of this plant, with falling prices as a result.

Just my two cents..

There's no way I'd pay that much, though it is an amazing nep. I think I'd rather buy an SG eddy for that kind of $$

Looks like we may soon be seeing more and more of this rare plant, as it seems one nursery is offering it for $299. Can't say who, but I'm sure it won't take long for people to locate it.

$299 though? I'd like to know what you all think about this exorbitant, but expected, pricing?
Would you pay this amount? Specifically, would you pay this amount if there was the slightest chance some of the seedlings were hybrids?

I've seen people pay nearly $500 for a rooted cutting of N. x Briggsiana on eB*y, so how different is this? Not very, IMO. Sure, I'd pay it. Even if some of those seedlings turned out to be hybrids? Heck yes! Imagine how excited you would have been if you bought N. lowii from seed grown stock only to discover you had a unique clone of N. x Trusmadiensis instead?! I wouldn't mind one bit.

I've seen people pay nearly $500 for a rooted cutting of N. x Briggsiana on eB*y, so how different is this? Not very, IMO. Sure, I'd pay it. Even if some of those seedlings turned out to be hybrids? Heck yes! Imagine how excited you would have been if you bought N. lowii from seed grown stock only to discover you had a unique clone of N. x Trusmadiensis instead?! I wouldn't mind one bit.

haha nice point. I guess if you've got the cash, why not?

You know... I'm glad you started this thread.

When considering these plants I can't help but compare them to other similar plants such as N. argentii. I say similar because they are both endemic to one mountain and have a very limited range on that mountain and are superlative in nature. When argentii was released I believe it was released first as a batch of seed-grown individuals that had a huge price tag. As far as I know none of these seed-grown plants have ever resurfaced for sale, and there hasn't been a breeding event in cultivation to produce more seed. Thus all the argentii available now are TC and there may be only a dozen clones or so in cultivation at most.

What I would have done to get my hands on a seed-grown N. argentii...

It all depends on whether it's one of those must haves for you or not. It's not a plant I really would desire at any price, it just doesn't thrill me. Most of the newer species, especially the Philippine discoveries I just can't seem to get excited about for some reason. N. pittopangii and the latest "true" N. thorelii is the only new discoveries I'm really waiting on acquiring and neither of these would I want to pay more than $50 for.

I think more than $150 for any plant is silly and then it has to be a plant I really, really want. I just paid $250 for a must-have plant a week or so ago but I plan on getting rid of it asap and using the $$ for something else. It only matters what it's worth to the buyer and some folks just gotta have one of everything, so they'll get it now no matter the price! LOL

I'd like to have N. attenboroughii but, I'd never pay that kind of money for one. I'll wait till they drop to half that. I'm still going to go check them out this weekend though............

I just paid $250 for a must-have plant a week or so ago but I plan on getting rid of it asap and using the $$ for something else

I find this statement completely astonishing.

LOL I'm just holding up my end of a plant reservation by making the purchase. I don't reserve something then change my mind about it later, except in this instance where I already have the plant in question by the time my turn came up. I actually got two seed grown specimens for a few dollars more than the price I paid for this single TC one. But anyway I honored my obligations, I just will not keep the plant since I already have two. I've no need to be a hoarder.

Well pm me swords...ill take it ;)

It all depends on whether it's one of those must haves for you or not. It's not a plant I really would desire at any price, it just doesn't thrill me. Most of the newer species, especially the Philippine discoveries I just can't seem to get excited about for some reason. N. pittopangii and the latest "true" N. thorelii is the only new discoveries I'm really waiting on acquiring and neither of these would I want to pay more than $50 for.

Wow really... thorelii beats out attenboroughii, palawanensis, or leonardoi! I guess everyone has their own taste. . . :lol:

It will go down in price eventually.

I really have no interest in it either. The only one I would be willing to pay over $200 for is and eddie. And that would only be if I could grow them.

It will go down in price eventually.

lets take a look at hamata....

with the exception of hamata, price USUALLY goes down. i remember when jaq, jamban, glabrata, inermis, rajah were all triple or more of the prices they are now. hamata isnt going down anytime soon...still... N. attenboroughii is going to be just like hamata from my predictions.

Alex

lets take a look at hamata....

with the exception of hamata, price USUALLY goes down. i remember when jaq, jamban, glabrata, inermis, rajah were all triple or more of the prices they are now. hamata isnt going down anytime soon...still... N. attenboroughii is going to be just like hamata from my predictions.

Alex

Yeah I am hesitant to believe it will decrease all that much in the case of this species...

Endangered, endemic to one mountain, huge bizarre plant, probably a very long time until it ever flowers... It will certainly be years before we ever see seed-grown plants again if at all.

I actually think the price on this one will drop relatively quickly. This is only the first round of seed grown plants, once they get the cultures going and get more available for sale, the price will plummet. N. attenboroughii while a very nice looking plant just doesn't have the attributes that make plants like hamata or edwardsiana so desirable. The first N. jamban I saw for sale was over $300.00, a year later they were under $200.00.......I bought mine last year for $60.00.

I actually think the price on this one will drop relatively quickly. This is only the first round of seed grown plants, once they get the cultures going and get more available for sale, the price will plummet.

The price will plummet for the plant in general but I seriously doubt there will ever be any more rounds of seed-grown individuals in the relatively near future. Also, who says this plant will do well in TC? Some just don't take like others...

N. attenboroughii while a very nice looking plant just doesn't have the attributes that make plants like hamata or edwardsiana so desirable.

On the contrary hamata and edwardsiana do not have the attributes that make attenboroughii so desirable either.

The first N. jamban I saw for sale was over $300.00, a year later they were under $200.00.......I bought mine last year for $60.00.

And who's to say that N. attenboroughii could ever possibly be as weedy as N. jamban?

From what I've heard, this species is slow and prone to dying suddenly without warning....many of the european seedgrown from the first seeds that were spead around are dead.

From what I've heard, this species is slow and prone to dying suddenly without warning....many of the european seedgrown from the first seeds that were spead around are dead.

I have heard similar things; but then again, when Nepenthes dentata (later, hamata) first made the rounds back in the 1980s, plenty of those early plants and rooted cuttings went South too . . .

Back