What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature or Humidity?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
It's been cloudy the last few days, so daytime temperatures have been around 60F or less and the greenhouse stays about that temperature since its not in the sun to warm up. When I turned the heater on, it dropped quickly to 40% humidity from around 70%... When I turned the swamp cooler on, it quickly cooled off to the outside air temperature... So what is more important to highlanders: temperature or humidity? ???

IMO I would say temperature for sure

Neps are very finicky when it comes to humidity changes. Too large a drop will make the flop, however if this happens for no more that an hour, and humidity goes back up, they're usually fine. The cool temps will not hurt most highlanders, however if there are lowlanders, you need both or they'll go downhill.

It's been cloudy the last few days, so daytime temperatures have been around 60F or less and the greenhouse stays about that temperature since its not in the sun to warm up. When I turned the heater on, it dropped quickly to 40% humidity from around 70%... When I turned the swamp cooler on, it quickly cooled off to the outside air temperature... So what is more important to highlanders: temperature or humidity? ???

Don't you pull back the shadecloth on cloudy days? You should be capturing more solar on a cloudy day if you pull it back.

Neps are very finicky when it comes to humidity changes. Too large a drop will make the flop, however if this happens for no more that an hour, and humidity goes back up, they're usually fine. The cool temps will not hurt most highlanders, however if there are lowlanders, you need both or they'll go downhill.

I guess I won't heat them on cooler days then. They should be able to take 60F days for a few days at a time.

Don't you pull back the shadecloth on cloudy days? You should be capturing more solar on a cloudy day if you pull it back.

Can't really be easily done... I have it taped down in a bunch of different places. I need to rig up something I can just slide it back and forth on though.

I'm not sure about that... my humidity can easily drop into the 20's or so and stay there for long periods of time! My neps stay just fine when this happens, they just stop pitchering if it goes on for more then a month or so. where as too hot or too cold of temps can easily kill them...this is just my experience, could be different for everyone :)

but 60 for a few days at a time is fine im sure!

in my experience they can take temps in low 60's for long periods with no ill effects just grow slower,but with low humidity the lids would shrink on unopened pitchers and they sometimes stopped the production of pitchers

Well there are those winter days that are in the 50s because its cloudy, I guess I should use the heater there. To be honest, before I hooked my swamp cooler up to the outside air and shut the greenhouse door, the humidity was dropping into the high 20s low 30s for a few hours (90% at night) when it was in direct sun... Now it stays in the high 60s to low 70s when in full sun (90% at night)... All of the neps are alive and growing like weeds with no pitcher malfunctions.

Sounds great!! Keep it up :)

Back