What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Size Got Smaller?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I just picked up a N. bongso var. Robusta today. After I paid, I realized the two newest leaves were smaller than the last ones...

33clkx4.jpg

Why is this? How can it be fixed? I feel like coffee may help, so in another week when my plants are due for their next treatment I will brew up extra for this guy. Anything else I can do?

Use nepenthes leaf mulch :p

It kinda just looks like the plant is pouting after being in less than superb (read: subtly different than what it was used to) conditions for a while. It looks to have gotten a good bit of sun recently. It will settle in and normal growth will resume in due time if you give it a nice stable climate.

It kinda just looks like the plant is pouting after being in less than superb (read: subtly different than what it was used to) conditions for a while. It looks to have gotten a good bit of sun recently. It will settle in and normal growth will resume in due time if you give it a nice stable climate.

Thank you! That was helpful. The CP store ordered it and some others from a place in Borneo (not BE) and the soil seemed a bit dry before I watered it, or perhaps I just keep my Neps too wet lol. I would assume it has been at the CP store for about a month and a half or two months acclimating, so I guess it makes sense. I'll let it settle into my conditions and I'll keep it more wet and see what happens. Thanks again! ^_^

Yeah, I saw that on your Pic thread. I've had it happen to me a few times where the Nepenthes I get was not grown in it's right conditions and there for has smaller leaves. In your case all you need to do is keep it in it's proper HL conditions and the normal leaf size will return ;). Also, don't be surprised if the first pitchers it puts out are small as well :p.

Last edited:
Ugh, I knew I should have picked the other one (same species) I wanted... It had a big pitcher about to open and another forming. One of the owners told me he would go with this one so I did lol. I think the leaves on it were fine. :p

looks like it is acclimating to the higher light intensity, if the leaves start getting distorted and smaller then you may need to dial it back some and try again later. Not sure how it works for the others but for the lowlanders another tell tale sign is the new leaves will get a brighter/lighter green than their predecessors as well as smaller.

The sustained metabolism boost from spitting out smaller leaves in rapid succession will eventually exhaust the plant which I can imagine would not be good. I haven't personally witnessed this but this info was passed to me by a knowledgeable grower.

Last edited:
May have to do with temperature....
Hm, this is just an observation from my only nep plant (a campanulata).
During cooler period, the leaves become shorter, thicker and rounder, with shorter tendrils and fatter pitchers too.
Then when it gets warm, the leaves tend to be longer, with long tendrils and slim pitchers.
My plant is growing in a terrarium, so other things being equal, it must be temperature then for my plant's case...

Back