What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello From Western South Dakota

I'm a 27 year old industrial plumber (backflow preventers/fire suppression systems) with 2 boys (4 and 2 y/o) and a hobby tolerant wife.
I'm an avid gardener and I specialize in very hot peppers. I enjoy catfishing, deer and grouse hunting, and shaving with a straight razor.
I've only recently become interested in growing CP's and am sure they will rob me of much of my spare time like my other hobbies, lol

Me in some snow:
gjVzG.jpg

The family that puts up with me:
TMPYn.jpg

I grow indoors under two 1,000 watt HPS bulbs 12hrs/day - acceptable for any CP's? (65°F by night - 85°F by day - ~40% humidity)
ic34l.jpg

My babies:
zCy2r.jpg

fa7Zg.jpg

Look of immediate regret - taken moments after I ate my first super hot pepper (2 yrs ago):
aed0gh.jpg

haha welcome to the hobby! You could grow a lot under those HPS bulbs, but you may need to shade some species under the peppers (which I may have to hit you up for in the future).

thats alotta juice to grow peppers! holy cow :D

haha welcome to the hobby! You could grow a lot under those HPS bulbs, but you may need to shade some species under the peppers (which I may have to hit you up for in the future).

I'll gladly send you some Trinidad 7 Pot Pepper seeds if you're interested.

thats alotta juice to grow peppers! holy cow :D

need lots of coverage, I overwinter roughly 30 peppers plants and this year will be starting nearly 150 more. Some of these pepper varieties require 180+ days to set fruit, so i need to keep 'em runnin year round to get much out of them... Lol, some guys dump their money into a boat, me - it's peppers.

I didn't mean to come off the wrong way in my comment.

I have spent alot of time and money on my hobbies as well. If you are going to be passionate about something, you gotta do it right :)

Do you grow any peppers hydroponically? I grew some run of the mill japapenos in an aeroponcs system years ago. Was pretty awesome

Welcome to TF! Your setup sounds perfect for most intermediate and some lowland Nepenthes as well as many Sundew and Pinguicula species. I recently tried raw ghost peppers for the first time and i dont think I will ever try them again :lol: anyway welcome to the addiction and be sure to check the trade threads often it is a great place to nab free plants!

I didn't mean to come off the wrong way in my comment.

I have spent alot of time and money on my hobbies as well. If you are going to be passionate about something, you gotta do it right :)

Do you grow any peppers hydroponically? I grew some run of the mill japapenos in an aeroponcs system years ago. Was pretty awesome

Don't worry, I didn't take your comment the wrong way, I just used it as an excuse to explain a little more about my setup, and yep, the plant in the picture above is in a DWC hydro setup. I had 5 plants growing hydroponically, and about the 10 month mark this year they contracted some sort of root disease after I trimmed a bit too much off the top and I lost all but one. It was fun, but I think it's a little too resource hungry to try again... but I loved those roots -

nNbHQ.jpg

Welcome to TF! Your setup sounds perfect for most intermediate and some lowland Nepenthes as well as many Sundew and Pinguicula species. I recently tried raw ghost peppers for the first time and i dont think I will ever try them again :lol: anyway welcome to the addiction and be sure to check the trade threads often it is a great place to nab free plants!

Thank you much for the advice and I'll keep an eye out in the trade threads! Raw peppers are fine and all, but making hot sauce and pepper powder is where it's at. I use my powder on everything and it's awesome. - The best part about using powder from a super hot, is that you can add just a minuscule amount and get the heat without changing the flavor of the dish you added it to. A few of the varieties I'm growing are nearly twice as hot (peak heat) as a ghost pepper.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to TerraForums and welcome to the hobby :D

Back