What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum Appreciation Thread!

This is a thread for people to share their love of this amazing moss that many people take for granted! It's great live or dead for many CP medias and even by itself it can be quite beautiful! So share your sphagnum that you grow, solo or with your plants, in situ or in a pot, it doesn't matter really! Also, if you want to get a tentative ID on the species you can ask our resident sphagnum guru, Wireman.

I'll start us off with some in situ pictures:

Sphagnum Orange to Green by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Sphagnum carpet by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Sphagnum Carpet Closeup by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Sphagnum Orange-Bronze by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Sphagnum Bronze by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Sphagnum Red with Yellow Tips by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Love the moss!

Your new camera is wicked. Awesome pics! That last one is so cool.

Nice pics:drool: Does anyone have common sphag(orchid moss?)

JMN all of this is common sphagnum, just with it's winter coloring. I have some tropical sphagnum from a few different sources that I use as a top dressing for my nepenthes. Was there anything in particular you were hoping to see/obtain?

Wow!! That Sphagnum with red and yellow tips is mesmerizing. Never seen anything like it.

JMN all of this is common sphagnum, just with it's winter coloring. I have some tropical sphagnum from a few different sources that I use as a top dressing for my nepenthes. Was there anything in particular you were hoping to see/obtain?
Nope, I just want to grow a sphag colony to use as topdressing too:) Anything beginner level would do(I heard some sphagnum sp.s are harder than others) Thanks!

I have not had any issues with any of the sphagnums I have but I received nearly all of mine from bits and pieces tagging along with CPs from trades or from plants I bought at the ICPS conference from Jeremiah Harris.

Sorry for changing the topic, now lets get back to admiring sphag!:D

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE LAST FEW?!?!?! Third from the bottom looks nearly identical to Sphag. fuscum, and the last one is just awesome.

That sphagnum is amazing.

Love it! More picts please!

I'll take pictures before the plants to to the sitters. The Sphag is taking off like a rocket.

Nice pics. I love sphagnum.

Sphag!!! :-O

I am culturing some I bought off of Ebay to use as a top dressing. I just got it today so its not very impressive yet. Since its late and dark out right now, I will take pictures tomorrow.

EDIT: Pics!!

100_0805_zps4d3fa608.jpg

Last edited:
Both of them are cool looking, but sphagnum sp. rainbow looks way cooler;D

Great pictures !! Thanks for sharing this ! The last one (green/red) is stunning.

Last one looks like Sphag. molle.

Is propagating on shallow layer of peat as above best, or just kept damp with pure water, high light and humidity?

Back