What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I took some cuttings today and I'm really wanting them to survive so I thought I would check in with you all about some things.

1) I took some cuttings of veitchii and I was wondering what you guys think on cutting the leaves in half like you would with a lot of other species to help retain moisture? I figured since it is veitchii and has such waxy/hairy leaves that it may not be necessary but the leaves are pretty big so maybe I should?

2) I have some clonex gel coming to root with but have them in water at the moment since I heard it can help flush some hormones or something. When I put on the clonex gel and put them in media should I worry about sterilizing the media or should it do fine without? I'm thinking lfs and perlite since that's the mix they'll be grown in eventually. Would prefer live lfs but I don't have any since it would die in my conditions

3) In terms of bagging, is it worth it for cuttings of plants that are used to low humidity? I know it would help with drying out and give them more time to root but could also cause fungus issues which I'd like to avoid. What do you think?

Sorry for all the questions, I know I probably seem like a newbie but I really want these cuttings to strike since they're of great plants. Other cuttings I have taken have usually been of more weedy ventricosa hybrids and such which have all just rooted (or not) in water but don't want to take as much of a risk with these.

1. cutting the 2 lowest leaves of the cutting does help.
2. rooting hormone never hurts. I use pure LFS to root cuttings..
3. High humidity is good for rooting cuttings. So if you don't have it, bag em'.

Use the Clonex very sparingly, since an overabundance of the gel can actually promote rotting.

Otherwise, trim the leaves and bag up the whole mess . . .

Use the Clonex very sparingly, since an overabundance of the gel can actually promote rotting.

Otherwise, trim the leaves and bag up the whole mess . . .

umm. I think you mean over abundance of auxins or othe rrooting hormones can prevent rooting?

umm. I think you mean over abundance of auxins or othe rrooting hormones can prevent rooting?

No, I have just noticed that an overabundance of the gel tends to rapidly blacken the cut end, while the rest of the cutting remains green; perhaps a fungal issue. I prefer a powder with fungicide for that very reason; or else, one of my homemade PGR soups . . .

No, I have just noticed that an overabundance of the gel tends to rapidly blacken the cut end, while the rest of the cutting remains green; perhaps a fungal issue. I prefer a powder with fungicide for that very reason; or else, one of my homemade PGR soups . . .

Ditto. This is pretty much all I ever got out of rooting gel -- a rotting end and no roots. I went back to powder pretty quickly.

I quit using rooting hormones at all, because I saw no evidence that they offered any improvements.

I actually only use rooting powders. Never had any success with the gels..
The powder seems to promote quicker root production with a higher success rate. Even though ive had great success without using hormones if any kind, I do prefer to raise the odds in my favor.

for those who use powder, what is your peferred brand? it seem like gels are all the rage these days and the powders are barely talked about in the modern plant grower circles.

thanks alot!

Rootone is the best known of the powders and originally contained Indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) as a source of root-inducing auxin -- now replaced by NAD or 1-Naphthaleneacetamide, along with Thiram, a fungicide . . .

I use the rootone F . love the stuff. but I also see where if you dont tap off the excess that roots sort of get messed up...

I use the rootone F . love the stuff. but I also see where if you dont tap off the excess that roots sort of get messed up...

Mach -- nice to know that they have a product closer to its original formulation with IBA and NAA as well . . .

Back