What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month March 2014

Vote for the top 3 best!

• NatchGreyes - N. ampullaria 'Williams Red' x 'Harlequin'

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Maiden - C. follicularis 'Eden Black'

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • charlie - D. burmanii

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Red Lowii - N. eymae x xtrusmadiensis (EP Clone)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tacks - D. burmanii Humpty Doo

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • catrus - P. emarginata

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 03/31/14
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 04/01/14, closing 04/05/14 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on March 31st 2014 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

Well, I don't have any really good shots of the plant, but I do of this pitcher. I present, N. amp. 'Williams Red' x 'Harlequin'
IMG_7775.JPG

Here is a D. burrmanii
DSC_0164.jpg

Good luck everyone!

Nice drosera :)

(And nice subulata!).
:)

Wow. Know fair! Your in the tropics so you can grow your Nepenthes outside all year round! Really awesome plant!

Dude, nice Nepenthes, but I've got my eye on that tree fern in the background!

Drosera burmanii from Humpty Doo. Seedling is about 3 months old.

Wow. Know fair! Your in the tropics so you can grow your Nepenthes outside all year round! Really awesome plant!

hehehe, thanks charlie:-D Sydney is far from tropical :-D You should see how brown the grass gets here, I water the plants regularly, the vegetation is deceptive

Dude, nice Nepenthes, but I've got my eye on that tree fern in the background!

Thanks mato! That fern is a sole survivor, he had a twin, kind of like two pillars for the entrance to the garden, the survivor has grown a meter in 10 years!

Ping

My best plant this month:
1524592_10201696970722044_1366683497_n.jpg

Sorry the photo is from my IPhone. It's hard to get it to focus on the flower. Also, not sure if it has the correct name. I bought it at the NECPS booth last year and I think Matt told me it was emarginata.

My best plant this month:

Sorry the photo is from my IPhone. It's hard to get it to focus on the flower. Also, not sure if it has the correct name. I bought it at the NECPS booth last year and I think Matt told me it was emarginata.

If you hold your hand just behind the flower for the picture, and block most of the rest of everything from the shot, it ought to force the camera to focus on the flower.

Great color, always like the purple/magenta flowered plants. Though, considering the pictures I've seen, I'd say your plant is probably a hybrid with emarginata, possibly with moranensis or another more pink flowered plant, though I can see the emarginata pattern in the petals.

Thanks, Thez_yo and hcarlton. I'll try that on my new flower for this month, thez. I got a vote! :blush:

A half press on the shutter button usually sets the focus on most digital cameras. Put the center spot in the view finder on the flower, half-press and let the camera focus. Keep holding the half-press and recompose the shot and full press the shutter.

Back