What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Pitchers drying rapidly

Hi,

I recently took a weekend trip and came back to find my heliamphora looking less than happy. After doing a bit of research, the sudden death syndrome that I have read about seems to be related to fungal infections.
I received this plant in a juvenile stage about a year ago. Slowly but surely, the adult pitchers crowded the lidto the point where I could not cover it any longer. So, I took my chances and left it in the open air (southern Louisiana, late fall, winter). It sits under a CFL with a few others of my collection. I mist it daily.
Is this from a lack of humidity -- and what, if any, chance do I have of saving it?
I'm a little afraid to repot it but it is early spring so I'd imagine this is an ideal time.
I will also be moving in the next few months and didn't want to set up anything too permanent or burdensome to transport.

Also, how do you manage these very specific conditions? I'm interested in some creative ways of mimicking ideal settings.
Thanks for the help!
Today
48WH3jThFWi11QAxDkaWAoHr6blyC5pjWu7_eTvru8TW=w433-h553-no

Last week
IMG_20140311_194940415.jpg

Pitcher die back from a sudden drop in humidity is rather common, and nothing to really be concerned about.... but there will be die back
Return the plant to its higher humidity environment and fill any available pitchers with water.
Then acclimate slowly to the new, lower humidity conditions

heli sudden death appears from the bottom up as a brown mushiness...

edit: I would bet you're root bound as well, this leads to dramatic swings in moisture at the roots due to lack of substrate moisture buffering capacity. This will compound the problem you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Av8tor1.
I actually checked out your excerpt on the sudden death syndrome and had a little sigh of relief.
Reading it now, I think I was a little vague about the timeline. The lid has been removed from the plant for the duration of the winter, since about late Oct-Nov. Would you still say that my not misting the plant as I normally did daily resulted in the same sudden drop in humidity?

probably a combination of factors... but if they are dying from top down, its almost always moisture related
may be about to bloom as well... right now is heli flowering season

I would repot and go from there....

Back