What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variation within a Species... Posters!

I will be giving a lecture at the upcoming ICPS conference on Sarracenia and part of my lecture is discussing the definition of a species and how much variation is allowed within a species before a plant needs to be split into a new species. Too often people get the idea that a species, subspecies, variety, and even form must look like a particular picture they have in their head or perhaps saw on the internet. For example: Nepenthes robcantleyi and this dare I say it, infamous photo
Nepenthes+robcantleyi.jpg

So to challenge this idea that a species, subspecies, variety, or form MUST look like the picture in your head I have created these handy posters which I hope will be available to buy in the near future. As I create more I will post previews of them here.

The rows are as follows for the S. purpurea complex poster from top to bottom: Row 1 S. purpurea ssp. venosa, Row 2: S. purpurea ssp. montana, Row 3: S. purpurea ssp. venosa, Row 4: S. purpurea ssp. burkii, Row 5: S. purpurea ssp. venosa

And yes I meant the names as I said them above. I am of the opinion that there are no varieties of S. purpurea only subspecies and that includes S. rosea.

Enjoy!

Great posters ! Any chance that you'd like to give a presentation at this falls NECPS show ? We're currently looking for speakers.

Last edited:
i'd like to but i cant afford to travel up there right now. Ask closer to the date and I'll let you know :D

Cool. It's a little later than normal this year. Oct. 4- 5.

Back