What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crestate growth induction

I read on here a few months ago about disturbances in the apical meristem of Pinguicula causing crestate growth. It seems like most of the information I have found on this growth has been due to a pest of some kind, but I am curious if anyone has tried to initiate this growth pattern by a purposeful disturbance of the meristem. If not, I plan on trying it out on some of my plantlets and see if there are any results. I figure if I can burn the apical meristem that the axillary meristems should initiate. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks

Perhaps some type of physical damage, or chemical (growth regulator), like an extremely dilute 2-4D might create the effect.

Roundup®

When attempting to divide Pinguicula plants in crestate growth patterns, like this one, below. It has always resulted, for me, in more plants that begin to grow normally, rather than more that continue the crestate growth form. Though with Drosera capensis, the crestate form can often be preserved.
i-TzpxNMT-XL.jpg

Pinguicula esseriana in crestate growth form.

Last edited:
So I may have went overboard on the damage to the apical meristem of my Pinguicula. The plant was unable to handle it and after splitting it died. I will try this again after I have regenerated some more plants from cuttings and let you guys know if there were any results. Thanks for the info!

I wonder if this isn't actually true crestate growth that we are seeing in Pinguicula. Fasciation is not a very common occurance in the plant world, although it is more common than other types of mutations. Crestate or fasciated growth is when "the apical meristem becomes elongated perpendicularly to the direction of growth, thus producing flattened, ribbon-like, crested, or elaborately contorted tissue." I'm wondering if the plant is basically self dividing like Cyclamen corms do over the years.

Just for fun... A few examples of true crestate growth:
Cryptomeria japonica
Fasciation.jpg

You can clearly see the line along which the meristem as flattened in this photo that DVG shared awhile ago.
IMG_3085-P-jaumavensis-L90-14-BCP-March-20-2013_zpsfbd3f0d5.jpg

DVG had another one do this
8652751821_f4231fabf3.jpg

The most easily recognizeable fasciation/crestate growth is probably on Cockscomb
cockscomb-flower.jpg

Hmm. Some of the research that I've done seems to indicate that fasciate/crestate growth is partially inherited. Crestate growth is the term used mainly when cacti demonstrate fasciation. It is definitely an interesting topic. Anyone else know more about this?

Back