What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growth rate in Nepenthes seedlings

I have a few Nepenthes plants grown from seed, and they are and remain very tiny. A couple of seedlings I obtained from around the same time that were say a quarter to half the size of a dime or a bit smaller, they have grown quite a bit since then. I am curious about when the growth rate of seedlings might pick up or how that might chart over time.

It might help if you mentioned the species, or parentage of said Neps.

The growth rate of Nepenthes seedlings can vary quite a bit, even among plants from the same pod of seeds, grown out in the same pot, in identical conditions. It just seems to be natural variation, some are just more robust than others. The most dramatic example of this that I witnessed personally was a group of N.mirabilis seedlings that I grew out a few years ago. Within the 1st year, a few of the seedlings were close to 12" across while others from the same pod, sown at the same time, in the same pots and in identical conditions were only around 2" across. The majority of the seedlings from that particular batch were around 4" across at this time.

I probably was not as clear as I meant to be. Two small plants I received have grown to this size in a four inch pot.

Some seeds I obtained and planted after several months look like this. Also in a four inch pot. Don't mind the ping or Drosera,

Back