What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harborfreight greenhouse

That's just wrong Paul! Not inaccurate, just wrong!

Need those pesky concrete hex finials untranked?! We've got just the tool! The Meglinating Variable Intensity Multifunction Power Tool! Get your Bono safety glasses and an idiot lamp while you're at it! #fortheloveoftools

Last edited:
I want a nail straightener. For $140 how can you go wrong?

Me and my wife and in-laws all laughed like crazy about that link, Paul. Made our day--thanks.

Last edited:
Funny but some people have decent luck with them after some modifications. Next time I won't share.

Funny but some people have decent luck with them after some modifications. Next time I won't share.

Thats true - and after all, people can only buy what they can afford. I think its important not to have any unrealistic expectations about these kits, though; you only get what you pay for. Even after reinforcements, the materials (the panels most of all) are of poor quality and rarely last more than a few seasons. If that works for you, that's fine. But people ought to know what it is they are getting for $300 (or less).
I don't want you to think this was intended in any way to discourage you from posting anything you deem worthwhile.

As an owner of this exact greenhouse, I too actually achieved a very stressful and vulnerable method of protecting my plants. It has lasted 2 seasons, but I'd never accept that it was the perfect greenhouse. That being said, I'm fortunate to have caught it at an affordable price. I never expected to own a greenhouse until I was in my 40s, so for that I am thankful to Harbor Freight (and my wife!!!!!!!!!).

However, like Paul said, the added expense and painful memories of trying to make the HFGH functional are totally humorous after the fact. I don't consider his post a "jab" or insult of any kind--rather, it contained humorous observations that probably any regular shopper at Harbor Freight could make.

Rather than giving him the feedbacks or information he's looking for, he got some joke made on his behalf.

Was it the link funny, HELL YA i laughed so hard. But that's not what he wanted.

Theplantman on the other hand shared his experience and gave valuable feedback.

Rather than saying hey sorry if my post made you not want to share in the future, you asked him to interpret or think about your post in the way you wanted .

The fact is you (whim) wanting him to think a certain way about your post or others perceiving this not as a jab doesn't mean that what you said didn't discouraged him from wanting to participating on this forum in the future.

Your joke comes at a cost, just not you.

Last edited:
Paul you should have known better! Didn't expect the designer of the house to read your little joke, did you? Out of all the people on earth he has the right to feel offended. Bad man! Very bad man! Excuse me while I like your post.

Last edited:
The fake ad is hilarious.

These greenhouses really do suck though. While you can spend more money and time reinforcing them, you'd be better off just spending another few bucks and build one from scratch. The HF greenhouses can be somewhat useful (with modifications) in mild climates but in the colder parts of the country, they're just a waste of money.

Paul you should have known better! Didn't expect the designer of the house to read your little joke, did you? Out of all the people on earth he has the right to feel offended. Bad man! Very bad man! Excuse me while I like your post.

In our world now a days, empathy is very lacking. You may benefit from trying this on yourself and then with other people. Because you really can't give other people what you don't have. Or teach other's what you don't know.

Theresa Wiseman, a nursing scholar in the UK who studied various professions where empathy was relevant, listed four attributes that described empathy.
1. Perspective taking ( Taking the perspective of another person as their truth).
2. Staying out of judgement (It's especially hard when we enjoy it so much).
3. Identifying the emotion in the other person
4. Communicating that emotion back.

Empathy is also very different form sympathy. Empathy drives connection where as sympathy drives disconnection.

Let's practice.
1. The perceptive of the person was he said he didn't want to post in the future. This is his truth. Whether you think certain people have the right to feel offended or not, that's his truth.
2. Staying out of judgement (which you didn't do with your response), this is hard for all of us because judgement is a way for us to launch ourselves out of own insecurities. This can be achieved by making observation without evaluation.
3. His probably feeling discouraged (this is hard just with text alone)
4. And simply communicating that feeling back.

Which is what I said early "hey i'm sorry if my post made you feel discouraged and not wanting to post again.

Feel free to try this :)

Rather than saying hey sorry if my post made you not want to share in the future, you asked him to interpret or think about your post in the way you wanted .

The fact is you (whim) wanting him to think a certain way about your post or others perceiving this not as a jab doesn't mean that what you said didn't discouraged him from wanting to participating on this forum in the future.

Sorry, but speaking as someone with professional experience in facilitating communication and resolving disputes-- huh? What whimgrinder attempted in his follow-up post could very simply be termed a "clarification." ALL expressive communication is about trying to help others receive things the way you intended. When someone takes offense with an expression not intended to give offense, where's the harm in clearing up the misunderstanding?

dozer, thanks for posting about the HF GH sale, useful info for anyone interested in getting one. Kevin and whimgrinder (Paul?), thanks for your honest assessments of the GH, also very useful to any interested parties. Now where did I leave my nail straightener??

Frankly, I would search out every honest opinion/review of any product I wanted to buy that was over a hundred bucks. If multiple sources made mention that there were issues, I'd factor them into the decision.

...and with the HFGH I can at least say I knowingly went into battle with it. Seriously, the manual is a work of art and I recommend it to anyone who's never put one up.

Last edited:
I believe communication and resolving disputes can't be accomplished without empathy.

this belief stems from the work of Marshall Rosenberg's work "Non-violent communication"

also i'm wiling to admit i'm new at this and my work isn't foul proof

This is a summary of his work

"NVC helps us connect with each other and ourselves in a way that allows our natural compassion to flourish. It guides us to reframe the way we express ourselves and listen to others by focusing our consciousness on four areas: what we are observing, feeling, and needing and what we are requesting to enrich our lives. NVC fosters deep listening, respect, and empathy and engenders a mutual desire to give from the heart. Some people use NVC to respond compassionately to themselves, some to create greater depth in their personal relationships, and still others to build effective relationships at work or in the political arena. Worldwide, NVC is used to mediate disputes and conflicts at all levels."

You may actually like his work and this is what other people are saying about his work

What People Are Saying About NVCTM:
“Nonviolent Communication is a simple yet powerful methodology for communicating in a way that meets both parties’ needs. This is one of the most useful books you will ever read.”
—WILLIAM URY, co-author of Getting to Yes and author of The Third Side

“Marshall Rosenberg’s book, Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life, is essential reading for anyone who wants to improve their communication skills. Applying the concepts within the book will help guide the reader towards a more loving, compassionate, and nonviolent way of understanding and functioning with others, and foster more compassion in the world. I highly recommend this book.”
—MARIANNE WILLIAMSON, author of Everyday Grace, President Global Renaissance Alliance

“The extraordinary language of Nonviolent Communication is changing how parents relate to children, teachers to students, and how we all relate to each other and even to ourselves. It is precise, disciplined, and enormously compassionate. Most important, once we study NVC we can’t ignore the potential for transformation that lies in any relationship difficult—if we only bother to communicate with skill and empathy.”
—BERNIE GLASSMAN, President and Co-Founder Peacemaker Community

“Nonviolent Communication is a powerful tool for peace and partnership. It shows us how to listen empathically and also communicate our authentic feelings and needs. Marshall Rosenberg has a genius for developing and teaching practical skills urgently needed for a less violent, more caring world.”
—RIANE EISLER, author of The Chalice and The Blade, Tomorrow’s Children, and The Power of Partnership

“We learned to speak but not communicate and that has led to so much unnecessary personal and social misery. In this book you will find an amazingly effective language for saying what’s on your mind and in your heart. Like so many essential and elegant systems, it’s simple on the surface, challenging to use in the heat of the moment and powerful in its results.”
—VICKI ROBIN, co-author of Your Money or Your Life

“Marshall Rosenberg provides us with the most effective tools to foster health and relationships. Nonviolent Communication connects soul to soul, creating a lot of healing. It is the missing element in what we do.”
—DEEPAK CHOPRA, author of Ageless Body, Timeless Mind

“I believe the principles and techniques in this book can literally change the world, but more importantly, they can change the quality of your life with your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your co- workers and everyone else you interact with. I cannot recommend it highly enough.”
—JACK CANFIELD, Chicken Soup for the Soul series

“Marshall Rosenberg's dynamic communication techniques transform potential conflicts into peaceful dialogues. You'll learn simple tools to defuse arguments and create compassionate connections with your family, friends, and other acquaintances. I highly recommend this book.”
—JOHN GRAY, PH.D., author of Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus

“Rosenberg starts with the question: What happens to disconnect us from our compassion, leading us to behave violently and exploitively? Rosenberg makes some challenging points: that compliments and apologies operate in a system of oppression; that rewards are as harmful as punishment, that killing is the easy way out. His distinction between punitive and protective force—and how to discern when force is necessary—should be required reading for anyone making foreign policy or policing our streets. Demanding the ultimate form of responsibility—and vulnerability—it's no wonder that Rosenberg has received little media and mass attention. Well-written and laid out this book is accessible and easy to read.”
—D. KILLIAN, On The Front Line, Cleveland Free Times

“Changing the way the world works sounds daunting, but Nonviolent Communication helps liberate us from ancient patterns of violence.”
—FRANCIS LEFKOWITZ, Body & Soul

“Marshall's unique message gives teachers easy steps for peaceful communication and a new way to work with children and parents.”
—BARBARA MOFFITT, Executive Director, National Center for Montessori Educators

“I appreciate how well Nonviolent Communication reduces a very complex and needful topic to utter simplicity.”
—HAL DOIRON, Director, Columbine Community Citizen's Task Force

“Nonviolent Communication is a masterwork. Nationally, we talk peace. This book goes far beyond mere talk . . . it shows us how to TEACH peace.”
—JAMES E. SHAW, PH.D., Jack and Jill, Why They Kill

“In our present age of uncivil discourse and mean-spirited demagoguery, racial hatreds and ethnic intolerance, the principles and practices outlined in Nonviolent Communication are as timely as they are necessary to the peaceful resolution of conflicts, personal or public, domestic or international.”
—MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW, Taylor’s Shelf

“Nonviolent Communication is filled with stories of mediations in many different situations: families, corporations, cops and gangs, Rwandan village tribal chiefs, Israelis and Palestinians. The author describes how, in numerous conflicts, once ‘enemies’ have been able to hear each other’s needs, they are able to connect compassionately and find new solutions to previously ‘impossible’ impasses. He has compiled his ideas into an easy-to-read book that clearly explains this communication model. If you want to learn ways of more skillful speech, I highly recommend this book.”
—DIANA LION, Buddhist Peace Fellowship, Turning Wheel Magazine

Last edited:
I have one of these greenhouses. Theyre OK.. but i wouldnt want more.
They get very hot in summer, and if theres a wind over 20 mph, it basically does an atomic test re-enactment.

I have the 6x8 and the 10x12. Theyre "good" greenhouses but definitely not great and with all the extra money I put into modifying the 10x12 I honestly wouldnt do it again. Id just build a hoophouse.

Definitely a good greenhouse until you can afford something better and you'd be surprised what screws and a ton of silicone can do for the stability of the structure.

In our world now a days, empathy is very lacking. You may benefit from trying this on yourself and then with other people. Because you really can't give other people what you don't have. Or teach other's what you don't know.

Theresa Wiseman, a nursing scholar in the UK who studied various professions where empathy was relevant, listed four attributes that described empathy.
1. Perspective taking ( Taking the perspective of another person as their truth).
2. Staying out of judgement (It's especially hard when we enjoy it so much).
3. Identifying the emotion in the other person
4. Communicating that emotion back.

Empathy is also very different form sympathy. Empathy drives connection where as sympathy drives disconnection.

Let's practice.
1. The perceptive of the person was he said he didn't want to post in the future. This is his truth. Whether you think certain people have the right to feel offended or not, that's his truth.
2. Staying out of judgement (which you didn't do with your response), this is hard for all of us because judgement is a way for us to launch ourselves out of own insecurities. This can be achieved by making observation without evaluation.
3. His probably feeling discouraged (this is hard just with text alone)
4. And simply communicating that feeling back.

Which is what I said early "hey i'm sorry if my post made you feel discouraged and not wanting to post again.

Feel free to try this :)

Your posts on conflict resolution have been very intersting reading. The method outlined is a lucid, well thought out way of dealing with interpersonal conflict. However allow me to offer a counterpoint which in my own experience has proved very effective at settling disputes. In my experience if it doesn't work the fault lies not with the method itself, but with the failure to fully implement it:

Hahaha, the fake ad is hilarious Paul. I do find Harbor Freight great for some things, but there is definitely some basis of truth in that ad.

Back