What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with my Howeara Lava Burst

It's on it's last leaf!

And I'm not sure why.

49F6E6F6-7104-4DF5-9453-AB8ABF51BF66_zpsvwd1hkji.jpg

I have it in East facing windows. I live on Stinson Beach, CA so humidity usually stays fairly high. Temps around 70(max) - high 40's right now.

4406B291-5046-4CA6-B1B7-B1C5FC0E67E4_zpsgolqaqif.jpg

Is this photo site also the plant's actual regular location? (Don't see any window at all so wondered.)

Your temps in the window area is in the 40's? That could be a big issue right there. Most members of the Oncidium Alliance do NOT like temps that cold.

Next, it's hard to tell without a better photo of the pseudobulbs, but your plant may be suffering from desiccation. Generally speaking (as there are exceptions), the finer/thinner the roots are, the more moisture retentive the media should be. In the case of a mounted plant, this translates into watering more frequently and/or using a pad of sphag, coir fibers, or other moisture retentive material on the mount to extend the length of time the roots stay moist. Said pad of material can be placed on the mount with the orchid then mounted directly on top of the material or the pad can be placed so it covers a substantial quantity of roots.

No, not the regular location. It sits in my sunroom, with east facing windows.

It only gets in the 40's during the cold winter at night. It hasn't been getting that low since early Feb.

So could I just grab some sphagnum moss and stick it amongst the roots?

I'll try spraying it down more often.

And I can tell you my exact temp and humidity levels in the room it's in right now, also can include some pics as well.

Thank you!

Back