What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[LF] any sarracenia giveaways for an outdoor grow

hey guys been a long time, I used to grow nepenthe a in SoCal then moved to AZ with nothing but a southern facing windowsill but most of my plants died off from scale . I managed to save a couple cuttings and since moved to PNW in Portland and bought a house.

Wanting to set up sort of a bog area in the backyard to teach my 3 toddlers about carnivorous plants, sarr's can take the weather here pretty well as I understand it.

Does any of you have any kind of sarracenia cuttings youd be willing to ship for postage?

Don't want to sound greedy and willing to wait for giveaways if that's the case :)

Thanks guys!

You actually just missed a bunch of free sarracenia divisions at the local meeting here in Portland last month, unfortunately.

aww bummer!

Come join us at the Portland CP group meets held the second Saturday of each month, the next one will be Saturday, April 11. New faces are always welcome! Details here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/131797-TF-Rendezvous-in-Portland-OR Meets are held at the same place (Moon & Sixpence British Pub in Portland), at the same time (3 pm), and always the second Saturday of each month.

I will not be at the April meet, but I will be there in May and will most likely be bringing more sarracenia for giveaway :-D

Makes me want to move to Portland too :D It's awesome that the group is so sharing.

2) Patience is a virtue! Postings soley to ask for free plants is greedy. Everyone here knows what it's like to be a newbie, and to want them ALL right NOW. Just wait, and check the trading forums....free plants get offered by growers periodically. If there is some specific plant you're after, go ahead and post a "I'm looking for a...," but please state what you have for trade in your post. Do not abuse the generosity of the membership. And don't jump in on EVERY give-away. Let others have a chance.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/81607-TRADING-FORUM-RULES-AND-INFO

:p :awesome:

Last edited:
I would be remiss in not pointing out that the NASC Auction listings are starting to pour in, and loads of great plants can be had at reasonable prices - and a great project will be supported in the process!

I will be putting together a sort of bog in a box to list this weekend. It will consist of at least one Sarracenia and several associate plants from my zone 6B outdoor bog.

awesome thanks guys!

Ill check out the meetup ...If I can get the wife to let me out of the house that is :)

A while ago I lost all my neps , I got the same admonishment about asking for plants that you did. People still sent me cuttings

IT'S PAYBACK TIME!!!!!!!!!

I am just taking my plants out of storage, but I know I have a bunch of stuff to send you .. pretty basic, maybe a few nice hybrids... and maybe a couple of surprises. I can also throw in some drosera and a VFT if you like :)

Congratulations on your house

PS
Am I the only one who has noticed that we refer to just about all CP by their latin names .. except VFTs ... why is that ?

Last edited:
Am I the only one who has noticed that we refer to just about all CP by their latin names .. except VFTs ... why is that ?

Many people in this community abbreviate the names of most genera: "Neps" instead of Nepenthes - "Sarrs" instead of Sarracenia. Its true that Dionaea gets abbreviated to "VFT" but likely because its common name is three words and cannot be contracted as readily as the others. That said, I am an exception in that I do not use these casual abbreviations and nicknames - I prefer to use full genera and species names; I value accuracy.

A while ago I lost all my neps , I got the same admonishment about asking for plants that you did. People still sent me cuttings

IT'S PAYBACK TIME!!!!!!!!!

I am just taking my plants out of storage, but I know I have a bunch of stuff to send you .. pretty basic, maybe a few nice hybrids... and maybe a couple of surprises. I can also throw in some drosera and a VFT if you like :)

Congratulations on your house

PS

Wow Nikki you are awesome! Thanks so much, ill shoot you a PM :)

And thanks, my kids love the house.. we finally have a good size backyard to grow fruit trees and some CP's :)

Back