What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between D. filiformis forms

I have a D. filiformis that I purchased locally last year, and one that came as a hitchhiker on a NASC auction item last year and have noticed a curious difference between the two plants. On the purchased plant, the flower buds are coiled, while the hitchhiker has a 180 degree curve with the buds hanging straight down. The hitchhiker also started its flower stalk a few days earlier, while the purchased plant is now growing a second stalk.

2lM3MdT.jpg
VZaf5ca.jpg

It got me wondering if the plants could be identified based on flower stalk growth habits and what other characteristics certain varieties might show other than simply color and size.

You just caught them at different stages in development. They all start out unrolling like the 1st pic then adopt the nodding growth habit until the flowers start opening.

Last edited:
Ah interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on them over the coming weeks. I expect the flowers will start opening soon.

Back