What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Succulent?

Hi All,

I received this specimen from a friend in the Western Cape. Stuck it into the ground and it started growing. Does any have information regarding this plant? First time I have seen this exact plant. :-O
It's an awesome looking plant, wish I had photos of the Mother plant though.

Regards

IMG_20150705_083049230.jpg

IMG_20150705_083008314.jpg

IMG_20150705_083044560.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely a succ. May be an Aeonium.

Yes, looks like Aeonium to me too.
They are very nice plants!

Last edited:
Yup that's what it is :) and a beautiful plant it is

Definitely Aeonium. It looks like it could be the cultivar 'Zwartkop,' but may be light-starved. If you get that guy into intense sunshine and it turns completely black, you'll know for sure.

Definitely Aeonium. It looks like it could be the cultivar 'Zwartkop,' but may be light-starved. If you get that guy into intense sunshine and it turns completely black, you'll know for sure.

Hi Plantman, thanks for the info.

This is my first Aeonium so not sure of the conditions that I should provide. Did find the following from finegardening's website:
Black rose
Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop'
Height: 1 ft. to 3 ft.
Spread: 1 ft. to 3 ft.
Growth Habit: Clumps
Light: Full Sun Only
Moisture: Dry to Medium
Maintenance: Low
Characteristics: Showy Flowers,Showy Foliage
Bloom Time: Winter
Flower Color: Yellow
Foliage Color: Black,Colorful/Burgundy Foliage
Uses: Beds and Borders
Style: Rock Garden
Seasonal Interest: Spring Interest
Tolerance: Drought Tolerant
Type: Cacti and Succulents

Sound like the perfect plant for my garden, Dry in Winter and some rain in Summer. Cacti and Succulents thrive here. Lol :-))

Last edited:
Speaking of Aeonium, do they ever branch out? I got a cutting nearly seven years ago from a plant that was branchy, but it's been one just rosette since.

Speaking of Aeonium, do they ever branch out? I got a cutting nearly seven years ago from a plant that was branchy, but it's been one just rosette since.

Yes, they do. Indeed, most are small little shrubs in situ. I'd suggest one of two things if your plant is stubborn to branch/offset: more fertilizer (also, occasionally add something containing calcium, which greatly improves branching and offsetting. It helps facilitate meristematic growth, which in other words helps with the creation and development of new shoot buds, root tips, and flowers) and/or more light.

Last edited:
Yes, they do. Indeed, most are small little shrubs in situ. I'd suggest one of two things if your plant is stubborn to branch/offset: more fertilizer (also, occasionally add something containing calcium, which greatly improves branching and offsetting. It helps facilitate meristematic growth, which in other words helps with the creation and development of new shoot buds, root tips, and flowers) and/or more light.

Okay, I'll work on that.

Back