What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera and Dendrobatids

I need to find out if it will be safe for my dart frogs if I add some Drosera and Pinguicula. I have about 18 species of those and I am thinking of adding them to the terrarium. Just want to know your expert opinion on this.

Thanks

I've never heard of Sundews or butterworts causing problems for frogs. As a matter of fact, BEETLES often get stuck to the leaves of my own sundews, only to escape a few minutes later. These plants are mostly adapted to catch flying insects with delicate frames, so they should pose no threat to your darts, though I imagine some pitchers might.

Larger Drosera can definitely catch smaller Ranitomeya or Oophaga froglets. The bigger issue at hand here is that most of the plants won't survive long in a tank for Dendrobatids for several reasons.

1.) Most media used in naturalistic vivaria is unsuitable for many CP's.
2.) The buildup of nutrients over time from the frogs waste and other organic debris will kill most CP's.
3.) The frogs will actually trample most of the plants small enough to safely grow with them.
4.) Conditions suitable for Dart Frogs are too humid for most Pinguicula.

I bred Dart Frogs for many years and the only CP's that I found that were suitable to grow with them are certain Nepenthes with some of the thumbnail groups such as the imitator and ventrimaculata complexes, they will actualy breed and rear tadpoles in the pitchers. Oophaga pumilio had trouble escaping from the pitchers. Some Heliamphora may also work but I have never tried them and the pitchers may be difficult for the frogs to escape from if they fall in. Pinguicula hemiepiphytica and P.moranensis may also work for larger Dendrobates species and can even be mounted like epiphytes.

Last edited:
Back