What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Longifolia to Bloom

Anyone know how to get utricularia longifolia to grow? Mine has grow from a single leaf to a massive bush in four months, but no flowers. Do they usually flower at a specific time a year/ do they need a variation in photoperiod or watering? Many thanks!

Seasonal typically, mine is flowering now. They do best experiencing a change in temperature or day length.

Darnit. Gotta up the light and the temp then, I want me some nice flowerss

Mine's stubborn, too and I wonder if perhaps a cool temp drop might work? I may be keeping it far too consistently warm.

[MENTION=8071]theplantman[/MENTION] That might be the cause. Mine has been in my lowland terrarium every since I got it with no temp fluctuation at all. I'm going to move it to my cooler ceph tank and see if that does the trick.

The particular form I grow, a dark purple flower I gather, has been doing well for me for several years now. I have given it changing photo periods, temperatures and dryness. So far I have had no success with getting it to bloom but as we approach spring I am hoping for success again. I am told that some clones are possibly easier to bloom but I don't really know. Certainly other, probably more utric-accomplished than I, growers have been successful.

I had no success flowering either U. longifolia or U. reniformis in my basement under lights (whether I changed photoperiod or not). However moving both species to an east-facing window here in the Northeast in autumn provided the conditions for both to flower in the spring. The last U. reniformis on the windowsill flowered all summer.

I don't know what specific conditions acted as catalysts but as you'd expect, the plants received a dose of seasonal temp & photoperiod changes.

Still waiting for mine to bloom also. Had it a year now. Makes leaves just fine.

I had no success flowering either U. longifolia or U. reniformis in my basement under lights (whether I changed photoperiod or not). However moving both species to an east-facing window here in the Northeast in autumn provided the conditions for both to flower in the spring. The last U. reniformis on the windowsill flowered all summer.

I don't know what specific conditions acted as catalysts but as you'd expect, the plants received a dose of seasonal temp & photoperiod changes.

'Useful information. Mine has been in the garage window for months now so I have my fingers crossed. I just saw a plant of the same clone with dried flowers on it so I know it can be done! Would you happen to have any photos? I could use some inspiration. :)

Would you happen to have any photos? I could use some inspiration. :)
Sure, there's a bunch of pics in my growlist (bottom section) for you to sort through. This one is probably my fave:**

Besides being attractive (imho), I like this pic because it shows both a newly unfurling flower, four blooms of various ages & a growing seedpod of a previously-pollinated flower - all on the same stalk.

The only times I haven't had U. longifolia & U. reniformis flower in my window was when the plants were either thoroughly & excessively potbound or when they were not mature / large enough to have the energy to make a flower.

** LOL - All of my pics over the years have been posted using Photobucket. Apparently Adobe Flash is an integral part of their website. I cannot even copy the img url to repost one of my pics ever since I evicted Flash from my computer. Here's the pic freshly uploaded via Flickr (which apparently doesn't use Flash - thankfully).

While searching my files for the pic, I came across an older / saved web pic of Fernando showing a U. longifolia in habitat, clearly demonstrating the origins of it's name ...

Last edited:
Thanks, amigo! Inspiration received.

Back