What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Farming?

This is a sample of the Darlingtonia seedlings I have on the go at the moment. These are all a year old and can be clearly seen in a peat mix, not so obvious is that they are over / in a sphagnum lining. I have trays in full sun, part shade, full shade, in with solar pumps and without. The same applies to the seedlings I have growing in Sphagnum.
So far there's not a great deal of difference except the ones in Sphagnum have to get taller a lot faster.. Those in peat stay compact.
I do have a couple of trays where They were in Sphagnum and I've transferred them to peat. We'll see how those progress over the growing season.

25487975824_6087689647_o.jpg

Wow that is a nice farm you have going. I'm very interested to see your results.

Wow, those are a year old? Darlingtonia truly are slow growers.

Those look great! What forms/locations do you have represented, Fred?

I'm not completely sure about scale but I would guess that they have grown at about the same rate as Sarracenia seedlings. Does that sound right?

Have you considered fertilizing some of them? I know some people have great results filling Sarracenia pitchers with Maxsea or orchid fertilizer solutions.

Trays filled with cuteness, very nice! How deep is the peat on top of the sphagnum? Do you have the trays sitting in water? Are you growing these outside or in a greenhouse? So many questions I have and interested in following your experience with different growing conditions.

I am anxiously waiting for my seed to germinate. I have not grown Darlingtonia from seed for a number of years and kinda miss having babies around.

Those look great! What forms/locations do you have represented, Fred?

I'm not completely sure about scale but I would guess that they have grown at about the same rate as Sarracenia seedlings. Does that sound right?

There are location plants from California and Oregon and of course my own seeds.

There are reds, greens and mixes.

They are a little slower than Sarracenia to begin with. Once they get to the stolon stage though, stand back

Have you considered fertilizing some of them? I know some people have great results filling Sarracenia pitchers with Maxsea or orchid fertilizer solutions.

I experimented with fertilising Sarracenia seedlings and Cephalotus thirty years ago. ( I still have a supply of hypodermic needles and syringes of all sizes. Acquiring some of those is a story on its own :-D) I soon stopped that as I could find far better things to do with my time and allowed the plants to grow naturally. I prefer the slower grown plants, I believe they are tougher. I did fertilise a Darlingtonia a couple of years ago as I'd foolishly damaged the emerging pitchers at the very start of the season. The plant was incapable of catching its own prey so yes I fed it. I simply added dilute fertiliser to the pitcher stumps.

Trays filled with cuteness, very nice! How deep is the peat on top of the sphagnum? Do you have the trays sitting in water? Are you growing these outside or in a greenhouse? So many questions I have and interested in following your experience with different growing conditions.

The peat is approx 1.5 - 2" deep (3.5-5cms) I also have some 5cm pond pots with individual plants in.

All the trays and pots are sitting in water, some with solar water pumps

Both in greenhouses and outside in grow tents ( front open and netted). Outside in the open is a definite no no. I don't want to be climbing up to bird's nests to see how the seedlings are progressing.

Last edited:
The peat is approx 1.5 - 2" deep (3.5-5cms) I also have some 5cm pond pots with individual plants in.

All the trays and pots are sitting in water, some with solar water pumps

Both in greenhouses and outside in grow tents ( front open and netted). Outside in the open is a definite no no. I don't want to be climbing up to bird's nests to see how the seedlings are progressing.

Thank you for the info. I want to try some in a net pot this year. For me here it is raccoons not birds that wreak havoc on Darlingtonia, they seem to be attracted to them.

The "farm" is expanding.

Here we have 'Othello' and 'Othello' x "Venom" seedlings. A few hundred of each.

26577856810_99a96eb13d_o.jpg

24044846699_dd623577be_o.jpg

At least I scattered the seed well, they'll not need more space for a while

Darlingtonia 'Othello' seedlings are now romping away ( for Darlingtonia that is). This is a small sample of the ones in the grow tent ( outside), no pump in use with these

27408742981_edc7454c80_o.jpg

Are you going to keep all those darlingtonia?

For as long as I can Curtis, then I'll have to select the ones to keep and distribute the rest

Back