What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob from Asia

Hi there.
I am from Indonesia. Its a tropical archipelago right in the sunbelt. So its hot and humid almost all year long. Hahhaha.
I am new here. Please treat me kindly. XD XD XD
I wish to 'steal' some informations and knowledge.

My first plant is a Drosera intermedia. I hope she can survive..

See ya along

Bonjour

:welcome:

from what island come you ?

jeff

Last edited:
Treated kindly you shall be.

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

You might want to look into nepenthes, many species grow in Indonesia, so it would be a walk in the park for you.

Welcome to the group.
Which type of Drosera intermedia do you have, Tropical Form or Temperate Form?

Good growing,
Mike

Bonjour Jeff. :))
Thanks for the welcome.
Well, the island is Java, the capital (where I live) is Jakarta. The nation is Indonesia. Hehhehe...
Its near Singapore. Lolz.
I have met some people who thought that Indonesia is inside Bali, I hope you know that its the other way around. Lolz..
XD XD

I am so inexperienced I dare myself not yet. Hahah..
My first CP was delivered on 29th June 2016. XD XD XD XD
And the space was also limited in my house so I think I will start with small plants first.
Thankyou for the welcome, Curtisconners

Hi mike... Thankyou for tye welcome.. :))
I well.. Unsure yet about the difference of this Drosera. I am not competent enough to know abt the differences yet.. The breeder just gave me this as giveaway..
Aaand since its starts growing nicely (despite 2 browning leaves and 1 fried point, I dont know how to 'sun-break' my plant yet) in my tropical condition, can I safely assume its a tropical one? Hahaha..

You should have no problem growing lowland Nepenthes species such as N. rafflesiana and N. bicalacarata

Welcome!

You won't even need a greenhouse for Nepenthes!

Hi Dexenthes. I am still learning about the CP and requirements for their survival. Hahhaa.. I also just newly employed so I cannot prepare many things like soil and peats.. I hope when I have enough time & money I can do the soil hunting first. Lolz.... Acquiring the plant is the easier part. Soil not so.
:(

Hello dr_donut. Your name makes me hungry. Lolz.
I still also searching abt the Neps. I still dont have any idea which is the best for beginner. So many name and shapes. Hahahha. Shame if the plant die because of my incompetence.
Well, according to the internet, my place will be im the ultra lowland. Extra hot extra humid like steam. I hope i can grow one in a few months.. Wish me luck...... Hahaha.

Bonjour

you travel to other islands of indonesia ? like ,Borneo, Sulawesi,, Irian barat , Moluques , etc ?

I am very interested by ant plant , do you know them ? in the island JAVA do you know this one : myrmecodia tuberosa 'armata' ?

jeff

Hi again Jeff...
Well, I have seen the plant. But not familiar with it. I live in the capital city, rarely venture to areas with major plant diversity. I know that we called them an Ant Nest plant here but I think it is not a really common 'pet' in my capital. Hahahha.. All tall building and small parks only with common plants and grasses..
If I want to find one, I think I have to go outside my island because its more plentier in sumatera, Kalimantan (borneo) and Papua (irian) Not really convinient. XD
Indonesia has too many biodiversity, usually if one was not interested in plants/animals, they wont pay too much attention..
Too bad..

Back