What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these sphagnum?

Hi, everyone

Been on a trip to my neighbor's cottage in the countryside. I found few cluster of mosses which reminded me with the sphagnum used rather religiously by CP growers as toppings, especially for Nepenthes. I asked my neighbor for some and he was more than happy to let me get some specimen to be cultivated in my home. The mosses grew inside private property, so pretty much I'm sure that there are no conservation policy violated in the process. Also I heard from one of the garden workers, these are usually treated as weed around dragonfruit trees. I got myself a huge chunk of soil from a dead pineapple crop in which mosses are growing abundantly there, and the other collected sporadically from the edge of growing beds used for dragonfruit plants and now they're inside containers. Here goes nothing.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I hope everyone can help me identifying these babies :awesome:

REALLY??

Is that ok? I heard some genus of moss are poisonous for CPs, hmmmm... Will it be okay?

It is not moss. I wouldn't take chances with it.

One of them is a star moss, one of the others may be a selaginella. In any case, do not use anything that is not sphagnum in CP pots for risk of toxins or breakdown of soil; hances are it may clog the soil as well and not allow it to breathe.

Thank you guys for the input
[MENTION=9012]hcarlton[/MENTION] yeah you were right, one is star moss and the other selaginella. It match perfectly after I googled.

Yea, I wouldn't use them if I don't know exactly what they were. Part of the reason I joined here was to ask about it :awesome:

Back