What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Needing advice on a good RO system

• Thread starter TheGuru
  • Start date
Hello you wonderful, helpful people *crosses fingers* lol,

So, I have my greenhouse up, fogging system, etc but the one thing I'm lacking is an RO system. I've done a lot of research and, to be honest, it's quite a lot of confusing and conflicting information out there regarding what I actually need.
My greenhouse is 10'x12'x10' and even though it's not nearly full I plan for it to be over the next year or two. I'm estimating a need of 50 - 100 gpd. Also I would like to have a garden hose adapter because that would be super convenient considering it's location. I have already checked and I know that I have plenty of pressure to supply a filtering system. It all just comes down to a good brand that won't make me take out a loan on my house to get it!

So, does anyone out there have one and can recommend it or know of a reputable, good system? Thank you in advance and happy growing!

i picked up this 100gpd unit about 5 months ago and love it. have it hooked up to a spigot beside washing machine in basement and hooked up to float valve. was trying to get smallest unit with least frills. just make sure to replace the filter as needed or the membranes life will be shortened and is much more expensive to replace :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQL3RZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thank you very much, about how often are you having to replace the filters thus far?

every 6 months is the suggested life of the filter. my water usage is only about 20 or 30 gallons per week as of now so at 6 months ill pop it open and inspect filter to see if it needs changing.

Much appreciated. I bookmarked that one as I continue looking

every 6 months is the suggested life of the filter. my water usage is only about 20 or 30 gallons per week as of now so at 6 months ill pop it open and inspect filter to see if it needs changing.

Actually, I believe this is their newer model (???) It looks to be higher GPD, portable, connects to a hose if needed, etc

https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponics/water-filtration-and-treatment/reverse-osmosis-ro-water-filters/hydro-logic-micro-75-gpd-revese-osmosis-filter.html

I would not recommend a 2 stage, especially since that's not some ridiculously low cost.
With that, you are counting on the one prefilter to work as both sediment filter and charcoal filter. I recommend no less than a prefilter and two charcoal filters. You don't want to clog your charcoal filter with sediment... and you want 2 charcoal filters so the water has more contact time with the charcoal to remove the chlorine. If chlorine makes its way to the membrane, it will destory it. So if you do go with the 2 stage (and a suggestion for nepenthesl0ve) since it is only one filter... change that filter OFTEN. You don't want it to restrict water flow by being clogged and you don't want to allow chlorine to the membrane.

The bare bones system I would suggest is a 4 stage, bulkreefsupply makes some very nice filters. Go with the 75gallon per day unit, and if you end up needing more buy the water saver upgrade which allows you to pull more pure water from the waste water. It saves a lot of water, and your filters since you're getting more product water from the same supply water.
4 stage 75GPD unit $149.99 https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-ro-only-system-75gpd-2.html

I have it :) Note, it only works on a unit with the same 75gph membrane.. like the first unit i showed, don't try to add it onto some random unit.

wow love the idea of saving water, esp without it shortening membrane life! Great info

yeah, pretty sure I'll be ordering that one this weekend or sometime next week. Besides, why spend more hours searching and reading when I can use some advice from those here that actually have what I'm looking for. I'd trust recommendations from here far more than reviews on some random site

I would not recommend a 2 stage, especially since that's not some ridiculously low cost.
With that, you are counting on the one prefilter to work as both sediment filter and charcoal filter. I recommend no less than a prefilter and two charcoal filters. You don't want to clog your charcoal filter with sediment... and you want 2 charcoal filters so the water has more contact time with the charcoal to remove the chlorine. If chlorine makes its way to the membrane, it will destory it. So if you do go with the 2 stage (and a suggestion for nepenthesl0ve) since it is only one filter... change that filter OFTEN. You don't want it to restrict water flow by being clogged and you don't want to allow chlorine to the membrane.

The bare bones system I would suggest is a 4 stage, bulkreefsupply makes some very nice filters. Go with the 75gallon per day unit, and if you end up needing more buy the water saver upgrade which allows you to pull more pure water from the waste water. It saves a lot of water, and your filters since you're getting more product water from the same supply water.
4 stage 75GPD unit $149.99 https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-ro-only-system-75gpd-2.html

i know this is old now but had a quick question for you about the system. if i hook this up to a float valve will the waste water shut off as well when the reservoir is full? my current system allows water to continue running through to waste even when the finished water lined is stopped by the float.

With an automatic shut off, any stage ro system should shut off when the ro water line reaches 80% or more of the water supply pressure. Do you have one of those installed or just a float on the ro line? Which system did you end up getting?

EDIT!
Oh, also! Is your float RO safe? If not it will probably go bad very quickly and will also leach minerals into the water. The leaching will probably be not a big enough issue to worry about, but do plan on the float not lasting very long. Here is an example of an appropriate one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012DU0ZAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
With an automatic shut off, any stage ro system should shut off when the ro water line reaches 80% or more of the water supply pressure. Do you have one of those installed or just a float on the ro line? Which system did you end up getting?

EDIT!
Oh, also! Is your float RO safe? If not it will probably go bad very quickly and will also leach minerals into the water. The leaching will probably be not a big enough issue to worry about, but do plan on the float not lasting very long. Here is an example of an appropriate one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012DU0ZAO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i had this system before the thread started (just a two stage without one of those shut offs installed apparently) the float valve is safe but when it shuts off flow the waste water line still allows water to pass through so i have to turn source water off. id like to get the one you suggested but wanted to make sure this wont happen again. kinda defeats the convenience a float valve is supposed to provide! Thanks for your help :)

Indeed! (and wastes filters too). Did you find the auto shut off? It's like a block with 4 water lines, you also need to make sure there us a 1 way valve between the membrane and float for it to work properly. It's sometimes the angle connector on the membrane but you need to verify.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back