What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused VFT - Please Help!

Hello all,
My VFT is really confused! It acts like it's dormant - has very sluggish growth. Leaves that come up have the the traps die before they develop. BUT, I've already had to cut off the second flower stalk in two months!

I didn't force dormancy because it's a small plant and I've had it for two years - didn't know how old it was until it started to flower. I live in southern California, the weather is about 60F at the moment (it's potted in the house) and it should start warming up within the next few months to 70-95F.

Any advice on if I should force dormancy? Or should I wait and hope spring leaves come up?

If you definitely know it's been growing non-stop for 2 years, then yes, I would put into dormancy. I'd spray it with fungicide and put it in the fridge either in it's pot or wrapped in sphagnum moss in a freezer bag. If you go back to November/December on this forum you should be able to find some information.
If you are doing dormancy now, I would take it out in the middle / end of June and give it a longer dormancy later on, say next January to April.

Back