What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulb Growing

I am wondering how do the bulds of VFT's come? Do I need to get some soil? Also well they need brighter lights?

Hey Travis!

They come in a little plastic bag, with just enough earth to cover the roots. Some folk wash this earth off by immersing the plant in a distilled water and Superthrive solution before repotting, but I just stuck the whole rootball in the new pot undisturbed. Additionally, this bit of earth is a good guide for getting the proper planting depth on the rhizome.

You will need a container (a 4" plastic pot is OK, though I have had 100% survival with a 12" pot with 4 plants in it) and a 50/50 peat/perlite or peat/sand mixture to plant them in. Canadian sphagnum peat moss is best. Put the pot in a saucer and keep the saucer filled with distilled water or rain water.

They will need sunlight, about 6 hours a day.

Most people lose about 20% of their rhizomes to shock, so get a few. At less than a buck apiece, you can't really go wrong.

The potted ones have a better survival rate--they may be bigger, too, though I don't know that for sure.

Steve

I haven't lost any of my 17 but they do take a long time to get going. Lots of light and high temperatures are needed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Alvin Meister on 12:41 pm on May 10, 2002
I haven't lost any of my 17 but they do take a long time to get going. Lots of light and high temperatures are needed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but you were born with a pot of sphagnum in one hand and a package of Banrot in the other.
smile.gif

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Alvin Meister on 12:41 pm on May 10, 2002
I haven't lost any of my 17 but they do take a long time to get going. Lots of light and high temperatures are needed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but you were born with a pot of sphagnum in one hand and a package of Banrot in the other.
smile.gif

Steve

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

If you knew how many VFT's I'd killed before I got them!!

Thanks for helping me everyone. The bulbs are some temptimg but having nice vft's off the bat is great. Since bug season has started I will probably get the plant vft's instead.

Thank you,
Travis

Back