What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy time?

I just got a now VFT. It is not growing any new leafs or anything. I DID feed it a little plant food before I found out it's bad. So, what do you think is going on?

It is probably stunned from the plant food. I'd flush the plant with distilled or rain water (ie over water it a couple times).

It could also be in entering dormancy, but the watering wouldn't hurt as much as the plant food. Also, they are really slow growers (IMHO) so be patient.

Make sure you aren't watering with tap water. Read the guides at the top to learn how to care for the little guys.

ditto what jhaluska. Most important I would run distilled water through the soil several times to take out all the toxins (plant food) out. Then give it a month to recover. I would also hold off on dormancy until the vft recovers. Just that I would not put a hurt/sick vft in doramancy that could be the final death blow.

Travis

...continue. Since I truely suck at dormancy my thought is make sure it is health as can be.

Travis
rolleyes.gif
*there*

Thanks. I fed the plant food with some rain water. Would that still hurt it?

Yes, the plant food is the harmful part. Now feeding it plant food and tap water, would mean you really hate the little guy.
wink.gif

Use just pure rain water or distilled water. Anything else could really harm the plant. If you want to increase growth on this website petflytrap.com they sell superthrive which works well I have heard. I would either rinse the soil really good (again) with distilled water to get the toxins out of the soil or you may want to transplant (not really recommended on my part but is an option).

Travis

Back