What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

green traps

• Thread starter sage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I just want to know how long before my VFT's start to show red inside the traps? How often do I feed a young VFT? I fed them flies and the next day the traps were open. Is this normal?
confused.gif

sage how small were the flies,
i dont think venus fly traps can digest anything in a single day, unless its like mornign day 1 evening day 2,
and the flies were tiny

It's hard to say how long it will take for your VFTs to turn red. It could be days or weeks. The more sunlight they get the faster they'll turn red.
Where the flies still alive when you put them in the trap?
The trigger hairs inside the trap have to be stimulated after the trap has closed on the insect. This is usually done by the insect trying to get out. Otherwise the trap will reopen in about 24hrs. In the wild this keeps the trap from wasting energy trying to digest sticks or leaves that fall in them.

Actually, one time i fed my biggest venus flytrap some maggots i baught at the bait store and it digested em in 24 hours.

Back