What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEED HELP ABOUT VFT

• Thread starter tommygurl76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
T

tommygurl76

I just got a VFT and was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips about them that I should know to keep them alive. Thanks for your help!
smile.gif

Brandy
ps. please e-mail me!!

(Edited by tommygurl76 at 11:36 pm on April 16, 2002)

Hey Brandy!!

First off WELCOME !!
smile.gif

check out the plant care and information at the top. That has just about everything that you need to keep the plant alive.

But here are a few quick pointers.

1) DISTILLED WATER ONLY
2) no fertilizer
3) lots of sun
4) no people/pet food
5) never let it dry out, always have it in a dish of water
6) feeding is optional. let it catch on its own

7) most importantly....Never, Never Feed it after midnight! :biggrin:

First thing.......don't feed your venus fly trap burger as the fat will cause it to die. Secondly, never make the venus fly traps close on purpose (eg poking them with your finger) as doing this to many times kills the trap (not the entire plant). Keep the plant in about 2cm of water if you are watering from the bottom (when watering use either distilled water, de-ionised water and rain water only, never use tap water as this kills the plant, if you really need to place it outside for 24 hours to make the chemicals settle). Also don't overfeed the plant with bugs. Feed bugs about 2-3 times monthly. Place it wear it can get plenty of light (or if their is no light by an artifical light).

anyone correct me or add something if i am wrong.

Tom

Good advice Tom, except for one bit :)
Leaving tap water outside won't have any effect, the chlorine etc. in it will not disappear. So distilled or rain water only.

Actually, the chlorine inside the tap water will disappear, but the minerals will stay.
Build up of minerals can easily lead to the demise of the flytrap, so use distilled, deionized, RO(reverse osmosis) or rain water(unless it is acid rain;)

if you feed you vft anything try to give it an insect that is soft bodied like cricket, flies, maggots, and even worms just not to big.

As far as sun goes, I would ease it into the sun. Full sun immediately might be stressful. Also, I think acid rain is just rain. I'm pretty sure most rain is acid rain and these are acid loving plants. Rain is good...

Back