What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad luck with my greendragons

I bought the double potted option from here a while ago. When they came the pot had 3 plants in it which was cool but one of them died in like a week. I has been about 2 and a half months total since I got them. It took 2 months for them to get good enough to feed them. Now all of the traps and leaves have turned black on the 2 remaining plants. So I brought them inside and have been putting them under cool white light bulbs and raising the humidity. Now when new growth appears the traps on the leaves blacken and die before they open, this is the same thing that happened to the first plant that died.
What should I do to keep them going they don't look in good shape at all Should I superthrive them ya think that would help. By the way I just use the little tray thing on the bottom of the pot to water them. Could they maybe be trying to go dormant? Ah Im clueless.
Thanks
John
sad.gif

Same thing is happening to my green dragon fly traps, so some suggestions would also help me. I've had them about 2 weeks now.

Evelyn

What are your growing conditions? Light, temp, humidity?

I lost one of 12 green dragons. I planted it too deep in the medium. Othewise, mine are doing well.

Nick

Yes I am using distilled water, The conditions are very good I think, All of my other plants: dente, s. rubra, purpurea, that are in the tank are doing excellent and growing really fast. The temps in my terrarium are a little hotter than usual lately about 90 degrees with lots of humidity not sure what percentage though.
Here is my setup and how I help raise the humidity. The plants are on plastic grids stacked up with about 3/4" in the bottom of the tank (The plants are not sitting in this). Then I set the tank on a heating pad to warm the water and raise the humidity it has worked well for me for a while. The plants now are just getting indirect light from a north facing window and in addition part of the day I have a 100w soft white light bulb on them from a desklamp.

Do you think that the soil could be to wet causing the roots to rot? the plants aren't planted to deep because you can see the rhizome and where the new growth comes from.
confused.gif
Thanks for the help!

I have seen Nick's green dragons(bulbs) and some of them look better now then what mine looked like when I recieved them. Mine have had a hard time from the start and they were shocked from shipping and didn't make new growth for a while.

And our mailman isn't to nice with our packages either I watched him the other day stand at the bottom of our porch which is 5 stairs and throw the package up to the door, it kind of made me mad. I would have thrown something at him if it was my plants but the package was for my dad.
John

Back