What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasonic mister/fogger

Does anyone have a take on using an ultrasonic mister w/ distilled water in your terrarium to add humidity? I have one in there now, and the fog looks really nice, and humidity is rising nicely.
wink.gif

I use a Vicks Ultrasonic humdifier (Model V5100) with a hose glued into the output hole on my highland Nepenthes terrarium. I use it because it's made of wood and plastic sheeting (it's basically an indoor greenhouse) and doesn't hold the humidity high as I want it. My glass terrariums/aquariums) don't need the humidifier hooked up they retain their own humidity just fine.
One thing I noticed was that you should hook your humidifier up to a timer (one capable of 15 minute intervals is good) so it doesn't put so much humidity into the tank that it causes rot in the plant leaf axils. I eventually went ahead and bought myself a humidistat which the humidifier plugs into and I just put the humidistat (which senses the humidity level and turns the humidifier on/off when the air gets below or over 75-80%). I still mist the plants every few days to make them think it's raining but a humidistat is a nice appliance to have automating your humidifier if you care to spend about $80 (including shipping), whereas the timer I got a Wal*Mart for $4.95!

Thanks! I absolutely LOVE the misters, though! They work so well and require no hook up. Designed to total be submersed in water with water-proof power cords and all, all I have to do is toss it in a cup and put the cup in the terrarium!
wink.gif

I have noticed though that with or without it I am having an overall difficult time regulating the humidity, so the sensor would probably be a great idea, I should look into that!
smile.gif

Just a quick update. For those of you who keep your CP's ina terrarium plated together in soil rather than seperate pots, I have discovered the secret (if you're having trouble in this department) to maintaining humidity. As I mentioned here I've been using the ultrasonic mister, and as I have found, a pleasant side effect of that is that the cup of water I keep sitting just inside my terrarium for the mister is maintaining my humidity nicely. So set a cup of water (distilled of course&#33
wink.gif
just inside your terrarium if you're having difficulties with humidity, it ought to help quite a bit!
wink.gif

I am curious as to why you need to add humidity to a terrarium. Any terrarium with a fairly tight fitting top will have more than enough humidity for any cps you might be growing. Unless your pumping in lots of air into the grow chamber humidity should not be an issue.

Yes those ultrasonic humidifier things look cool but in a closed environment the risk for fungus/disease is much greater..
Tony

Hi Tony,
Actually, my tank has a typical aquarium lid, but I haven't hooked a fan up to it for air circulation. I've been leaving it part-way open instead. The mister works in such a way that it sits in a small cup of water, and I turn it on to water my plants only once each day (in the morning) until the water level in the cup (it's only an average 4 oz. size cup) is too low and the mister automatically shuts off. This usually only takes about 15 minutes. So it's not on all the time by any means. That would be FAR too much humidity!
wink.gif

Back