What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d. adelae

if im keeping a couple of d adelaes on a windowsill in a small glass enclosure (totally sealed for humidity), is it possible that they will get too much direct light (really only 2 or 3 hours tops) or it will get too hot in the enclosure?

i want them to get lots of light but dont want to dry them out...

the enclosure gets very humid (so humid you cant see inside)

it gets up to the mid 80s on a hot day in the enclosure..

i have a ton of adelaes, most of which i keep in terrariums under grow lights and they are thriving.

the plants on the window sill were originally in the terrarium also so they are very healthy.

i guess the info im looking for is what are the extremes regarding heat and direct sunlight for them? what defines too much heat and too much light?

thanks in advance for the help!

(Edited by chris at 8
wow.gif
9 pm on April 15, 2002)

I don't think Adelea should get direct sunlight at all. Keep the temp at whatever would be comfortable to humans. The plant is fine upto 80's, but maybe not all day.

my adleae gets completetly full natural sunlight and is doing fine. it is so red and dewy! I think all that matters is having high humidty in dealing with these plants. the heat seems fine. good luck-Zach

Although I grow mine in low light conditions ,(I prefer the coloration and size I get this way) adelae can take direct full sun. I have a friend in Brazil that grows his in full sun all day. The tropical heat, humidity and sun produce very sturdy plants, deep red, but they are smaller. If your plants were grown under flourescent lights in terrarium conditions, they must be acclimiated slowly to the increased demands that the sun will place on them. The cuticle covering the surface cells needs to thicken to be able to maintain cell turgor and hydration in full sun, and this takes time. The anthocyanins responsible for the red coloration protect the chloroplasts, and like your own tan must develop slowly or there will be cell damage, and chloroplast loss. Give it 1/2 hr for a week, and increase it to an hour the second week. Keep a close watch on the plant, and on the temperatures inside the terrarium when it is exposed to the sunlight. If there is any sign of wilting, adjust the position. Broken sunlight is best at first, and the plant can take longer periods of exposure if there is some other plant to break the direct sun, still allowing the light to hit the leaves. Be sure to keep the medium very moist, adelae hates to dry out even for brief periods.

thanks guys..

since i have so many adelaes, i want to keep a couple where they will get lots of sun and get nice and red...

but i also keep most of them in a tank where they get nice and big.

tamlin, ive adjusted the shades in the window to kinda filter the light, which should help to adjust it gradually to the light conditions.

when you say you like the coloration in low-light conditions, are you referring to the bright green leave look with clear dew instead of red tinted dew?

i thought i was the only one that liked them that way.

thanks again everyone

I find that in my lower light conditions, the plant looks like Christmas: a nice green, with red glands and gobs of dew everywhere sparkeling away.  The leaves widen and grow longer, and I get more pups forming from the roots.  I have seen these plants almost black in strong light.  Both are worthy of experiencing however, and experimentation is certainly worthwhile!

The blinds are a great idea. Good luck with your plants!

(Edited by Tamlin Dawnstar at 8:22 am on April 16, 2002)

Back