What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what i got!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
When I went to Lowe's today, I saw two tiny little sundews and I just HAD to get one!!! It's pretty healthy, considering! It can't be more than a year old. It's leaves are only about a half of an inch long! The reason I got it at Lowe's, of all places, is because, when I saw it, I just plain got such a strong urge that I couldn't pull my hands from it!

Got any tips?

Well... let's see... another person can't get their hands off of drosera...

Try calling your local DAA chapter, there should be plenty of people willing to try to help you get over this expensive and life-threatening (though not necessarily yours) addiction.

Once you have rid yourself of the psychological/mental/chemical addiction, you need to do the physical part. Drosera glue is luckily quite water soluble, so a little water will usually help to get your hands unstuck from that pot.

Remember that we are all here to support this, many of us have the same problems as you do (hi, my name is noah, and I'm a droseraholic), so we know what if feels like. Don't hesitate to ask questions or request assistance - that's what we are here for!

Good luck. And remember, We are all here to support you, many of us have the same problems as you do (hi, my name is noah, and I'm a droseraholic), so we know what if feels like. Don't hesitate to ask questions or request assistance - after all, that's what friends are for!

-noah
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Got your shoes on now? (private jk). The species you have is likely to be Drosera spatulata. This is an easy growing tropical, but even if it is another tropical the care requirements are all pretty nuch similar. What Drosera like are cool, pure water to the roots, lots of light, 40% humidity and above, and air circulation. They grow well in a 50/50 mix of sand and peat well rinsed with pure water. I keep enough room in the pots so the root tips can continue to grow down into the meduim. They will still grow if the tips press against the bottom of the pot, but I think they grow better if there is room for them to extend downwards. I set my plants in tray water (distilled or rain). Mine are outside, protected against rain after being slowly adjusted to the sunlight over time (like you getting a tan and not burning). They also do well in indoor terraria, with good light and set close to the tubes. My outdoor plants feed naturally without any attention from me. Indoor plants not in terraria get fed occasionally, and terrarium plants are never fed in my collection since the chance for fungus forming on old prey is high. I occasionally flush my pots from above, or allow the rain to leach out any dissolved minerals. Things to avoid are impure water, lack of light, warm to hot pots, and unrinsed peat/sand mixes. If your plant is glistening with dew, it is happy. If not, something is probably wrong. It takes a while for new plants to acclimate, and I sometimes put mine in a ziplock baggie until I see dew being formed, and then gradually acclimate the plant to its new life. Best of luck with your Sundew, and I hope this helps!

Thanks!!! Although I am pretty sure it is a capensis. there is actually two capensis in the pot, close together, and a couple leaves sprouting that are the spoon shaped kind!
biggrin.gif

I have never seen a capensis being sold in a pot Darci, though, if you got one, kudos to you.

The only thing I think I would add to Tamlin's statement (Like I can one up the Dew expert&#33
wink.gif
is not to directly mist the plant like you might a flytrap or nepenthes, the mist will erode the dew off. Mist 'around' it if it needs it, but never on it.

Thanks!

Why do people keep calling me Darci??? (*in slow voice*)People are confused!

I have no idea, I was wondering the same thing, lol.
0_o

Anyhow, couple of things, Capensis look like a big tuft of grass with dew stuck to it. If you have spoon shaped leaves forming, the other ones are probubly imature plant leaves. You'll really have to wait untill it is a big bigger to narrow down the choices and you can't get really detailed untill the first flower
tounge.gif
But I'm inclined to go with the others and bet on Spatulata of some type. And
smile.gif
if you have both mature and imature leaves, I'm guessing 4 months old... at least thats what my various dews looked like at 4 months. Mine are now at 7 months and are tiney versions of the adult plants.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do people keep calling me Darci??? (*in slow voice*)People are confused![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Because you and Darcie have very similar personalities, at least on this forum anyway. The only difference I can see is that Darcie does that 0_o thing and you do that woot woot thing. Or was it the other way around? J/K
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Mike
smile.gif

We both go woot, but she started it. ... And I talk more, lol

I have to agree with tamlin, it's probably drosera spatulata, if it was from gublers, it could be a rotundifolia

Gublers? Well, if that's a brand name, that's not where it was from. It's Botanical Gardens brand. Well, if you think it's a Spatulata, post a pic of one and I'll tell you whether it is or not. Also put up a pic of a Capensis. That may help.

Thanks,
FTG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (monkeyman @ May 26 2003,04:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do people keep calling me Darci??? (*in slow voice*)People are confused![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Because you and Darcie have very similar personalities, at least on this forum anyway. The only difference I can see is that Darcie does that 0_o thing and you do that woot woot thing. Or was it the other way around? J/K
wink.gif

tounge.gif

Mike
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks for clearing that up
rolleyes.gif

Whoa... It's definitely not a spatulata! Out of those two, I'd say it's a capensis. I acutally see at least four or five capensis in that pot, and at least two extremely tiny spoon-shaped ones... are young capensis leaves spoon-shaped?

Ok... I think I know for sure what it is now! I found something that looks a whole lot more like mine than the capensis! Go to http://www.carnivorousplants.biz/Collection.htm and scroll down to ''Drosera Adelae''. The plants in those pics look EXACTLY like mine. I'm pretty sure that's what it is!

It probsbly is D. adelae, that is what you usuallly get at Lowe's I have about 10 of them lol!

I bought an D. adelae from Lowes, removed it from the clear container, seperated the roots/plants in to four sections and I now have four pots full of so many plants I can't count that high (not enough fingers and toes).
wink.gif

It's a very easy plant to grow in a warm terrarium. Mine are flowering. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Back